1) Back on 3rd February 2003, Bello Rasaq had scored his first goal in the National Football League (NFL) against Mohun Bagan. Goals from Bello and Climax Lawrence helped Salgaocar to notch up an away victory against the Green and Maroons on that day. The Nigerian's first goal for Mohun Bagan won them the title on Sunday.
2) Mohun Bagan have won all their four NFL/I-League titles under the tutelage of Indian coaches. While T.K.Chatunni led them to the first title in 1997-98, Subrata Bhattacharya was the coach in both title winning campaigns in 1999-00 and 2001-02.
3) Mohun Bagan conceded only 16 goals in their 20 matches this season, i.e. they 0.8 goals on average every match. Among the past I-League champions, only Dempo in 2007-08 had a better defensive record. They had conceded 13 goals in 18 matches, which is almost 0.72 goals per encounter.
4) Mohun Bagan bagged 28 points from their 10 home matches which is 2.8 points per game. This is the best ever home record by any team in eight years of I-League.
5) Bengaluru FC ended their campaign with a 13 match unbeaten streak. They have thus equalled the longest unbeaten streak in ONE season recorded by East Bengal back in the start of 2010-11. If Bengaluru remain unbeaten for the first five matches in the next I-League, they can better the feat of Churchill Brothers (17 matches) who currently hold the record for the longest unbeaten streak in the competition's history.
6) After completing his 13th season in NFL/I-League combined, Sunil Chhetri now has 79 goals in the top-tier Indian league. He still needs 10 goals to go past Bhaichung Bhutia (88 goals) as the Indian highest scorer of the competition.
7) Sanjoy Sen becomes the third coach after Armando Colaco and Shabbir Ali to have won the top division league and to get a team promoted from the second division. Colaco is the only coach to win both tiers as he had won the second division league for Dempo in 2001-02 before winning five national titles with the Golden Eagles. Sanjoy Sen's Mohammedan Sporting had finished second behind Rangdajied United in 2012-13 when the Black and Whites made it to the top division. On the other hand, Shabbir was the coach of the NFL winning Salgaocar outfit in 1998-99 and later guided Fransa and Mohammedan to promotion in 2003-04 and 2007-08 respectively. However, on both occasions his teams finished second in the second division.
8) Mohun Bagan became the second I-League champions to have the best defensive record in the league, matching the feat of 2007-08's Dempo. On the other hand, they became the third team to be champions after the aforementioned Dempo squad and Salgaocar in 2010-11 to win the title despite not having the best offensive record.
9) Dempo were last relegated in 1999-00 and Mohun Bagan had won the league that year. History repeats itself.
10) Only two Mohun Bagan squad members - Anwar Ali and Bikramjit Singh had been part of I-League winning sides in the past. On the other hand, most of the current Bengaluru FC players had won it last season.