I-League: Chirag Hold On For Win Over Mumbai FC

Riding on Edmilson’s first half brace, Chirag United registered their second victory in as many matches as they beat Mumbai FC 2-1 at the Salt Lake Stadium, Kolkata on a Friday evening...

Chirag United 2-1 Mumbai FC

A superb left-footed finish from the Brazilian in the 7th minute saw the home side take the lead, and a shocking piece of goalkeeping from Mumbai FC goalkeeper Amit Singha Roy at Edmilson's shot doubled Chirag's lead seven minutes later. Mumbai FC scored a penalty in the second half through Vincent Kayne, but Chirag held on for the win.

Chirag United gave their Australian recruit Keegan Nash his first start alongside Eduardo Coelho at the back while Mumbai FC made four changes from the team that was thrashed by Dempo last week. Kayne Vincent made his I-League debut while Alex Ambrose, M.Pradeep and Prem Kumar made their way into the starting XI.

The visitors should have taken the lead as early as in the sixth minute when Eduardo’s blunder is miscuing the clearance from his team-mate Nash saw Vincent being free in front of the goal but the New Zealand international volleyed it over.

The very next minute Mumbai FC paid the price when Jayanta Sen’s through ball was slotted into the far post by Edmilson first time to give his side the lead.

The match was quick paced in the early stages as Subhash Chakraborty made his way down the left and sent in a floating ball which was volleyed over, this time by Alex Ambrose.

Amit Singha’s Roy blunder in the 14th minute gave home side a 2-0 advantage as Edmilson’s shot, following Josimar’s lay off, went straight to him but the Mumbai FC custodian fumbled and gave away an easy goal.

Chirag were forced to bring in Subashish Choudhury as Eduardo had to be taken off following a clash of heads with Abhishek Yadav. Kayne Vincent showed some good touches as he went past two defenders but Nandy was quick to collect the ball.

The introduction of Dane Pereira gave Mumbai FC some much needed pace in the midfield as Noel Wilson was way off the mark and looked lost.

Towards the end of the first session, Subhash Chakraborty, who had switched flanks with Alex, dribbled past two Chirag shirts and his cross saw Abhishek heading it back across the goal but the ball was cleared before Vincent could make any movement.

In the second session, Mumbai FC survived an early scare as Malswamtulunga’s shot was headed onto the bar by Prem Kumar to deny the home side extend their lead further.

Thereafter, it was Khalid Jamil’s side who were on top as they dictated the proceedings. Abhishek Yadav released Vincent who in a one-on-one position sliced the ball wide.

Mumbai FC earned a penalty after Kinshuk Debnath was adjudged to have pushed Abhishek Yadav inside the box. Kayne Vincent made amends for some of his earlier misses as he sent Sandip Nandy the wrong way to reduce the lead.

A crucial touch by the overweight Josimar denied Abhishek Yadav as he lined up a shot following a goalmouth melee in the 79th minute. Edmilson could have completed his fine evening with a hat-trick when Gauranga Biswas released the Brazilian but Amit Singha Roy did well to come out and collect.

The match ended with the same scoreline with Chirag United joining JCT at the top with six points while Mumbai FC, though are yet to open their account, shall be pleased with their display in the second half.

Goalscorer Chirag: Edmsilon Marques (7th and 14th mins)

Goalscorer Mumbai FC: Kayne Vincent (66th pen)