thumbnail Hello,


  • 27 January 2013
  • • 15:45
  • • Duler Stadium, Mapusa

Dempo SC 1-1 ONGC FC: Carvalho strikes late to deny the Oilmen an away win

Dempo SC 1-1 ONGC FC: Carvalho strikes late to deny the Oilmen an away win

Anselm Noronha/

Armando Colaco's men managed to salvage a point against ONGC thanks to a late strike from Carvalho..

Following their 7-0 thumping of United Sikkim, Dempo SC left it late to deny ONGC FC an away win by levelling the tie 1-1 at the Duler stadium in Goa, on a Sunday afternoon, in a round-18 I-League encounter.

Mahesh Gawli was ruled out for Armando Colaco's men with a knee injury while Ryuji Sueoka was also out with a muscle injury.

A reckless challenge from behind by the ONGC captain Fanai Lalmuan Puia on Debabrata Roy resulted in an early change for Dempo with Samir Naik being brought in to replace the left back in the 14 minute.

The home side had a few advances in the box before that, when a good cross in the ONGC box by Valeriano Rebello almost found Koko Sakibo, but keeper Rehenesh TP got to the ball first.

In the 21st minute, Yusa Katsumi got past Dempo's last man Cressan Antao, but the Japanese took the ball over the touchline. Godwin Franco's shot went straight in the hands of ONGC keeper Rehenesh in the 26th minute.

Dempo managed to move into the opponents penalty area on couple occasions, but were unable to get past ONGC's resolute defending while Eric Brown put another shot wide at the other end as there were no goals until the half hour mark.

Among other chances, ONGC's break forward initiated by a good pass from Brown towards Puia saw the latter shoot wide while Dempo midfielder Godwin Franco's shot was marginally off target as Rehenesh looked on.

Then came the goal when ONGC midfielder Jatin Bisht helped the ball into the nets off Eric Brown's free-kick as a stranded Subhasish Roychowdhury was left helpless.

In what could have been the equaliser in the 42nd minute, a cross from Dempo's Valeriano Rebello from the right to the far side was headed back in by Nicolau Borges while Anthony Pereira's diving header flew wide. Pereira's free-kick went just wide of the left post while the ONGC keeper didn't even twitch.

Changing ends, a good cross by Abranches from the edge of the area on the left was a bit too far for Koko Sakibo who was other-wise in a prime position to tap home for Dempo in the 53rd minute.

10 minutes later, after Valeriano Rebello had done all the spade work on the right wing to cross the ball in front of the ONGC goal, Dempo substitute Peter Carvalho, who had just come in place of Nicolau Borges, could not keep the ball down from six yards out.

Anthony Pereira's cross from the right saw Abranches line up John Menyongar for a shot which hit the ONGC defense, before Climax fired the rebound wide from around the penalty spot in the 86th minute.

Godwin Franco's shot from within the six yards box was somehow blocked by ONGC keeper Rehenesh TP, but the ball fell to Peter Carvalho once more and he tapped in the stoppage time equaliser.

There was more late drama just prior to the full time whistle as Mollick's shot hit the crossbar and bounced off the line. The ONGC players were convinced that the ball had crossed over and felt they should have been awarded a winner but the goal was not given and the match ended with the score level at 1-1.

The draw means that the home side are still within reach of the top two in the league while the visitors remain established in their mid-table position.

Follow Anselm Noronha on 

How do you stay up with football when on the move? With –your best source for mobile coverage of the beautiful game.