India U17 National Team - Latvia U17 4-1 India U17 - Young Tigers' Granatkin Memorial Cup campaign ends in defeat

AIFF Media
The Indian U17 team were shunted by two early goals by the Latvian side, who progress to the next round as India bid adieu to St. Petersburg...

The India U17 national team, currently participating in the XXIX Granatkin Cup in St. Petersburg, Russia, were thrashed by the Latvia U17 team with the scoreline reading 4-1 in favour of the Europeans at the full-time whistle. 

The match took place on Thursday, 12th January 2017 at the St. Petersburg Sports and Concert Complex. The result means that Nicolai Adams' Colts bowed out of the competition, finishing third in group B. 

Latvia's U17s took the lead in the 17th minute and never lost their composure or upper hand thereafter. After some neat and tidy build up play, Latvian number 19 Čudars Kristers took a shot at goal from 25 yards out. Indian custodian Naskar Tamal was left helpless as the sweetly-struck effort curled into the top corner of the net and handed the Europeans an early advantage.

Young Sarkanbaltsarkanie would double their advantage barely two minutes later. A corner, won on the right side of goal, would result in another spectacular goal. The outswinging corner was delivered with pin-point accuracy to the middle of the box, where under no pressure, Soloveičiks Vladislavs smashed a powerful volley into the top left-hand side of the goal. 

Regža Marko made it 3-0 to the Maroon and Whites following a display of superb one-touch football by the Latvia Colts, putting the game to bed in the 38th minute.  

After the half-time break, the Indians regrouped and scored one back in the 50th minute in spectacular style. 

Sanjeev Stalin stood over a free-kick some 20 yards from goal on the left and curled in a right-footed effort which the goalkeeper couldn't keep out. The placement was excellent and it gave belief to the Indians that they could chip away against the stronger opponents. 

Article continues below

The 75th minute, however, saw all the optimism ebb away as Latvia won a penalty after a foul by Boris Thangjam. Grīnbergs Jānis converted the spot kick to restore the Latvians' three-goal advantage. 

The match ended so as Latvia progressed to the quarter-finals of the tournament, alongside group winners Russia.