MTN8: Mamelodi Sundowns 2-2 Kaizer Chiefs (2-1 pens): Masandawana sneak into semi-finals
Kgaogelo Sekgota, Daniel Cardoso and Aubrey Modiba, Kaizer Chiefs, August, 2021
The Tshwane giants joined Lamontville Golden Arrows, Cape Town City and Swallows FC in the last four after they overcame their Gauteng rivals

Mamelodi Sundowns defeated Kaizer Chiefs 2-1 on penalties following a 2-2 draw in the MTN8 quarter-final match at Lucas Moripe Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Goals from Peter Shalulile and Themba Zwane handed Masandawana a two-goal lead, but Amakhosi fought back and scored twice through Bernard Parker and Khama Billiat. 

Mothobi Mvala and Haashim Domingo surprisingly started in midfield ahead of Sundowns' experienced midfielders Hlompho Kekana and Andile Jali, who were on the bench. 

On the other hand, Njabulo Blom was deployed in an unfamiliar right-back position with Phathutshedzo Nange, Cole Alexander, Kgaogelo Sekgota, and Sfiso Hlanti being handed their official Chiefs debuts.

Blom was targeted by Zwane and Lyle Lakay on the right flank with the Sundowns duo delivering some quality crosses into the Chiefs box for Shalulile.

The deadlock was broken nine minutes into the match as Lakay's delightful cross was headed home by Shalulile to hand Sundowns a 1-0 lead with the Chiefs defence exposed.

Lakay was allowed to continue making overlapping runs and he played another cross for Shalulile, but this time the reigning PSL Footballer of the Year failed to keep his header on target.

The pressure was mounting on the Amakhosi defence and they conceded again in the 23rd minute when Zwane fired past goalkeeper Itumeleng Khune with a powerful shot to make it 2-0 to Sundowns.

Mvala tried his luck from a distance and his thunderous effort was finger-tipped over the crossbar by a Khune, who was then beaten by Lakay's long-range shot, but the upright came to Chiefs' rescue.

The hosts went to sleep at the back towards half-time and they conceded with Blom's pinpoint cross being headed home by Parker in the 38th minute and the score was 2-1 to Sundowns at the interval.

Sundowns saw most of the ball after the restart as they looked to restore their two-goal lead, but Chiefs defended much better with Erick Mathoho and Daniel Cardoso making important interceptions and clearances.

Coach Stuart Baxter decided to hand Keagan Dolly his Chiefs debut and the 28-year-old winger made an instant impact - playing a defence-splitting pass to fellow former Sundowns star Billiat.

The Zimbabwe international made no mistake as he fired past keeper Kennedy Mweene to level matters at 2-2 a minute before the hour-mark and Chiefs' comeback was complete. 

Sundowns' co-head coaches Manqoba Mngqithi and Rhulani Mokwena reacted by making a double substitution - introducing Jali and new signing Pavol Safranko.

Both teams then searched for the winning goal with Khune producing a great save with nearby Zwane ready to pounce and score following a shot-come-cross from Sundowns debutant Neo Maema.

Article continues below

At the other end, Mweene pulled off a fine save from Nange's curling shot and the match ended in a 2-2 draw in regulation time, before extra-time followed. 

The best chances went to Sundowns in extra time, but Khune made a superb save to deny Lakay before Safranko's free header missed the target and the game went into a penalty shootout.

Mweene proved to be the hero for the Tshwane giants as he denied Mathoho, Cardoso, Samir Nurkovic and Nkosingiphile Ngcobo during the shootout to ensure that Sundowns secured a 2-1 win on penalties.