Golden Arrows 2-1 Kaizer Chiefs: Arrows do the double on struggling Amakhosi
Knox Mutizwa Golden Arrows Njabulo Blom Kaizer Chiefs
While the visitors had enjoyed the better of the opening 30 minutes, the KZN side grew into the game and ended up scoring an 87th minute winner

Kaizer Chiefs lost their third consecutive league game after suffering a 2-1 defeat to Golden Arrows at the Princess Magogo Stadium on Wednesday afternoon.

It had looked good for the Soweto side when Khama Billiat put them ahead in the 18th minute, only for the hosts to hit back with two second half goals through Siboniso Conco and Michael Gumede.

Article continues below

Amakhosi started brightly and had some early chances as Billiat steered a low shot in the 12th minute a metre wide, before Keagan Dolly failed to hit the target from distance after a nice bit of build-up play five minutes later.

The Soweto side were showing good cohesion in their play and they deservedly took the lead in the 18th minute from a pulsating counter attack which saw Nkosingiphile Ngcobo play in Leonardo Castro, who in turn split the defence with a delightful ball for Billiat, the Zimbabwean finishing clinically with a half volley from 10-yards out.

It took Arrows until the 29th minute to enjoy their first chance on goal - after a strong run by Saziso Magawana, he unleashed a powerful shot, but straight into the arms of Glamour Boys keeper Brandon Petersen.

And as the first half wore on, Arrows grew in confidence and fluency and there was a decent chance for Knox Mutizwa three minutes before the interval, but after being teed up by Nduduzo Sibiya, he dragged his effort wide.

The second half was off to a lively start - first Chiefs survived a goalmouth scramble after an Arrows free kick into the box, and then they had a chance of their own as Dolly slipped in Billiat, but from a very tight angle, the shot went across the goalmouth.

Once more though Arrows began to turn up the pressure on Chiefs and after Njabulo Ngcobo sloppily gave the ball away to Conco, the Arrows substitute ran through on goal and scored with a low shot past Petersen; 1-1 on the hour mark.

Sensing blood, Abafana bes'Thende turned up the heat even more and after Ngcobo again lost possession, Magawana let rip from inside the box, but curled his effort marginally wide.

While Chiefs managed to forge a couple of their own attacks, the Durban team continued to look threatening every time they got the ball into the Amakhosi half.

The next chance fell the way of Chiefs in the 82nd minute when Dumisani Zuma stole into the Arrows box to get in a snap shot, but it flew straight at goalkeeper Sifiso Mlungwana.

Then, with just three minutes of regulation time to play, Arrows shocked the large Chiefs contingent in the stands when a clever free kick routine saw Gumede sneaking in at the near post to head home Sibiya's free kick.

The win was Arrows’ second over Chiefs this season. It was also a second consecutive defeat for interim coaches Arthur Zwane and Dillon Sheppard.