Chippa United 0-0 Mamelodi Sundowns: Chilli Boys shut out the champions
Grant Kekana Mamelodi Sundowns
The result means both clubs have four points from two games - the Chilli Boys beat Sekhukhune on the weekend while Downs accounted for AmaZulu

Gavin Hunt’s Chippa United side put in a superb workmanlike display in holding Mamelodi Sundowns to a goal-less draw at the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium on Tuesday evening.

Having only managed five league goals against Sundowns over the past decade, it was no surprise to see the home side happy to sit back and contain the defending league champions in the first half.

And they did it to good affect - despite having 66% of ball possession in the opening stanza, the Brazilians failed to register any chances on goal as Chippa keeper Ismail Watenga remained a virtual spectator, not even having to deal with crosses or balls into the box.

It was the same at the other end of the park as Downs keeper Denis Onyango was left kicking his heels in a first half in which the Chilli Boys also failed to have any chances on goal.

Certainly the injured Themba Zwane, usually so full of ideas and with the ability to make things happen, was missed by the Tshwane side.

Following the restart, it took just two minutes for the visiting team to get their first effort on goal as Peter Shalulile rose well to meet Mothobi Mvala's cross, but his header was straight at Watenga.

There was another opportunity for Masandawana in the 53rd minute when Chippa failed to clear their box from a free kick and the ball fell to Neo Maema, but he lacked composure with a half-volley which flew well over.

Article continues below

Needing more inspiration, Downs made a triple change with some serious quality coming off the bench on the hour mark as Gaston Sirino, Kermit Erasmus and Thapelo Morena entered the fray at the expense of Maema, Aubrey Modiba and Khuliso Mudau (the latter had been injured).

A combination of the new men and some added intensity saw the Brazilians putting the home side under increasing pressure, although Watenga was not overly tested, his next save coming in the 78th minute when he comfortably held onto a Sirino shot from outside the box.

In the end, Chippa were able to make it through five minutes of referee's added time without any issue, deservingly claiming the point.