BY OOI KIN FAI Follow on Twitter
On Wednesday evening, Tunku Ismail Sultan Ibrahim or more commonly known as TMJ, held an open session with football fans to address any issue that the fans want to raise. In the 2-hours long session, the Football Association of Malaysia (FAM) president nominee also opened up to what his plans are should he take up office in the perch of Malaysian football.
Taking in question from floor, TMJ took to answering all sorts of questions and did not hide when asked what will be his mission if elected as president of FAM. One of the main plans for TMJ will be the change in the way quarterly executive committee meetings are held.
TMJ intends to have the meetings all over the country with Sabah being promised to be the first venue. Currently the committee meetings are held exclusively only in Wisma FAM. The change is meant to give the committee a chance to monitor the facilities, finances and standards at respective Football Associations (FA) or clubs. On top of that, during those meetings, open sessions will also be held to give fans a chance to voice their concerns or grievances.
The owner of Johor Darul Ta'zim (JDT) also went on to say that if he's being entrusted with the job, he intends to change the constitution of FAM with regards to how the president is elected. TMJ wants the the move away from the president being elected only by the affiliates and will move to propose that in the future, fans or the public will be empowered to be the deciding factor.
The other plans that TMJ have, includes the following;
- National team to have their own organisation with its own CEO and reporting directly to President. No involvement from deputy presidents or secretary general.
- To put his people in disciplinary, integrity and treasury committees with all expenditure in FAM needing the President to sign-off.
- To take out the 40% of broadcasting rights that goes directly to FAM, to now go to respective participating teams
- Consistency and transparency in handing out punishments without favoritism
- Every team compulsory to have youth development
The elections are planned to be held on the 25 March 2017 at PJ Hilton Hotel where TMJ goes up against Tan Sri Annuar Musa for the eagerly awaited fight for the top post in Malaysia football