Saturday's PSL wrap: AmaZulu come from two goals down to hold Ajax, Arrows squander two-goal lead in KZN

The Urban Warriors squandered a two-goal lead to draw with Usuthu, while Golden Arrows and Maritzburg United were both held at home

In the Mother City, Ajax Cape Town failed in their attempt to claim only their third win of the season as they were held to a 2-2 draw by AmaZulu.

Usuthu had the first chance at goal when a corner was whipped into the penalty area for Rhulani Manzini, who saw his effort from close range sail over the crossbar.

The home team did not sit back and created two chances in quick succession. Bantu Mzwakali had a pop from an acute angle, but his attempt was flew wide of goal before Thabo Mosadi's dangerous cross fooled everyone in the box but could only go into the side netting.

Both sides went into the interval locked at 0-0 as goalscoring chances were few and far between. 

Ajax came out guns blazing in the second half and took the lead as early as the 51st minute when Masilakhe Phohlongo's right-footed shot from close range kissed the back of the net. 

Stanley Menzo's charges doubled their lead six minutes later through Tashreeq Morris who fired past Boalefa Pule from close range. 

Usuthu pushed numbers forward in the closing stages of the match and did pull one back through Mhlengi Cele's 90th-minute strike.

Mabhuti Khenyeza levelled matters deep into stoppage time to earn his charges a hard-fought point. 

Meanwhile, in the KwaZulu-Natal province, Golden Arrows squandered a two-goal lead and failed to go top of the log after playing to an entertaining 2-2 draw with Cape Town City.

The home side started the match on the back foot as the visitors linked up very well in build-up plays although a shot from Ayanda Patosi from just outside the box failed to trouble Nkosingiphile Gumede.

It was a real fight in the middle of the park with both teams exchanging play, but again the visitors looked more livelier going forward even though they failed to convert their chances.

In the 29th minute the visitors squandered a glorious chance to go in front when Letsie Koapeng received a low shot from the left and with goalkeeper Gumede beaten, the striker missed an open net after firing off target.

Abafana Bes'thende were first to get on the scoresheet six minutes before the break. Andile Fikizolo won a midfield battle before finding Siphelele Magubane, who beautifully chipped the ball past Sage Stephens.

There was a lucky escape for Stephens early in the second half when Magubane beat the offside trap before going past the goalkeeper but his shot hit the wrong side of net with the City goal well covered by the defenders. 

Jabulani Shongwe looked to have secured the points for Arrows in the 68th minute with a well-taken shot from the edge of the box following City's failed to clear their lines from a corner kick, but the Gold and Blue Army scored a late penalty through Ayanda Patosi before Thabo Nodada's wicked deflected shot in added time salvaged a draw for Benni McCarthy's side.

At the Harry Gwala Stadium, Maritzburg United and Bidvest Wits had to settle for a share of the spoils as neither side could find the back of the net.

The Team of Choice was looking to end an abrupt run of seven matches without securing a victory by plotting Wits' downfall.

It was a rather cagey affair in the opening 10 minutes with neither team creating any clear-cut chances though there were tight opening exchanges as the sides looked to find a rhythm.

As the game progressed there was a hard fought duel in the middle of the park with nothing really to separate the teams.

Article continues below

The first real chance of the game fell for Bevan Fransman in the 22nd minute. The lanky defender got onto the end of a decent cross, only to guide his header against the woodwork.

Despite efforts from both sides, a hard-fought first half saw the two teams head into the break locked at 0-0.

The visitors did create a chance with 20 minutes left on the clock when a great cross into the box found Eleazar Rodgers, but the lanky striker flicked his header onto the upright as the match ended in a goalless draw.  

Next article:
Silva upbeat about Man City title chances
Next article:
Petition to save detained footballer Al-Araibi nearly reaches target in a day
Next article:
Barcelona? I can't say anything - Stuani
Next article:
Ronaldo a 'perfect machine', says Gattuso
Next article:
A Football Manager miracle? How six native Germans are writing history with the Philippines