AFC Champions League 2018: Round of 16 First Leg Review: East Zone

ACL Rof16 EZ 1
Buriram United shocked former champions Jeonbuk Hyundai while Shanghai SIPG fell to a chastening defeat..

The AFC Champions League 2018 saw some intense action in the East Zone in the first leg of the Round of 16 clashes. Here is a look at what came to pass in the continent:

Tianjin Quanjian FC 0-0 Guangzhou Evergrande FC

In an all Chinese encounter, Tianjin Quanjian and Guangzhou Evergrande FC played out a goalless draw in their Round of 16 ACL encounter. 

Tianjin started well with Frenchman Anthony Modeste shooting straight at the goalkeeper from a promising position first up. Alexandre Pato also looked dangerous for the home team as he orchestrated several attacks. However, a goal would elude the team. 

Guangzhou also had chances of their own as Alan blasted the ball over from close range in the second half. The draw means Guangzhou will fancy their chances in the second leg at home while Tianjin will be relieved at having conceded no away goals. 

Buriram United 3-2 Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors FC (Edgar 6', 69' Diogo 60' - Lopes 50' Jun-Ho 90+1')

Thailand's Buriram United came up with a shock 3-2 first leg win over 2016 champions Jeonbuk Hyundai at home on Tuesday. 

The Thai side had a dream start when Edgar Silva got on the end of Yoo Jun-su’s cross to head the ball back across goal and give them the lead in the sixth minute. After the break, Jeonbuk hit back as Kim Shin-Wook chested a long ball down for Ricardo Lopes who stormed into the area and scored to equalise. 

But Buriram then scored twice in 10 minutes to go 3-1 up. First, Diogo produced a magical freekick in the 60th minute before Edgar Silva weaved his way past the Jeonbuk defence with a mesmerising run and finished. 

But Jeonbuk were thrown a lifeline when Son Jun-ho’s 91st-minute effort ensured they return home for the second leg with two away goals to their name.

Ulsan Hyundai FC 1-0 Suwon Samsung Bluewings (In-Sung 67')

South Korean side Ulsan Hyundai pulled one over their compatriots after a 1-0 win in the first leg of their Round of 16 clash on Wednesday. 

The game got off a slow start with both teams struggling to create. Only a long-range freekick from Mislav Orsic which bounced awkwardly for the goalkeeper generated some excitement. However, in the second half, there were several good chances with Suwon's Waguininho denied by a superb block. 

But Ulsan took the lead in the 67th minute when Orsic’s through ball found Kim In-sung, and the midfielder finished neatly past Shin Hwa-Yong with the outside of his right foot. Ulsan have a slender advantage going into the second leg now. 

Kashima Antlers 3-1 Shanghai SIPG FC (Suzuki 43' Nishi 49' Hai 75' (OG) - Elkeson 77')

Japanese outfit Kashima Antlers registered a 3-1 win over China's Shanghai SIPG on Wednesday, which gave them a huge advantage going into the second leg. 

Article continues below

Kashima had a good start to the game and hit the woodwork as early as in the second minute but had to wait until the 43rd minute to take the lead. Nagaki’s corner was glanced towards goal by Gen Shoji. Though it was clawed out, Yuma Suzuki smashed the rebound in. Four minutes after the restart, Kashima doubled their lead. Endo's corner from the right broke to Daigo Nishi, who prodded home from close range. 

Though Shanghai mounted a spirited fight-back, the third goal went Kashima's way. Shanghai defender Yu Hai headed Koki Anzai’s cross into his own net under pressure from Suzuki. However, Shanghai were given a slender hope by Elkeson who pulled one back in the 77th minute.