News Live Scores

Kariobangi Sharks v Gor Mahia Match Report, 20/10/2019

0 - 1
Afraha Stadium
Kariobangi Sharks 0-1 Gor Mahia: Afriyie strikes at the death
16:25 IST 20/10/2019
Gor Mahia's Francis Afriyie celebrates his goal in style together with his team mate Gnamien Yikpe.
The top-tier league's defending champions put aside their financial problems to claim maximum points against their hosts at Afraha Stadium

A last gasp strike by Ghanian striker Francis Afriyie handed Gor Mahia a 1-0 win against Kariobangi Sharks and their fifth consecutive win in the top tier.

The Kenyan Premier League (KPL) defending champions have won five out of their last six matches against the 2018 Shield Champions. Last season, the two sides met three times in all competitions and the William Muluya-led charges won twice and lost once.

Coach Steven Polack named a changed side on Sunday owing to circumstances surrounding the team. Captain Kenneth Muguna and his assistant Joash Onyango had not attended any training sessions, a fact which irked the manager.

Maurice Ojwang was also absent; new captain Joachim Oluoch partnered his vice Charles Momanyi in central defence while Samuel Onyango came in for Kenneth Muguna in midfield.

The hosts had everyone available and coach Muluya named the strongest lineup possible in the team. Daniel Sakari, Duke Abuya and Erick Kapaito led the attack hoping to make it two league wins against K'Ogalo in a row for the first time in four seasons.

Tobias Otieno found Yikpe Gnamien in the danger zone after just 10 minutes, the Ivorian -who was making his debut, did well to find Boniface Omondi in a good position. The winger set the ball in the path of Clifton Miheso whose shot missed the target by inches.

Sharks once again were left off the hook by the visitors in the 16th minute when Samuel Onyango beat the defenders in the danger zone, but his cut-back was missed by teammates.

The perfect opportunity for Sharks came in the 32nd minute when a good interplay between Abuya and Kapaito played in the former, but his header narrowly missed the target with the goalkeeper well beaten.

It was not a good first half as both sides struggled to settle. K'Ogalo relied on counter-attacks led by Onyango, Ambundo, and Omondi while the hosts tried to build from the back.

in the 70th minute, Sharks managed to beat the defenders and the ball was eventually crossed to Sydney Lokale but the custodian came off his line on time to ensure the ball did not hit the back of the net.

Moments later, Erick Kapaito managed to get the ball, and he took his time before passing it to an unmarked Shaphan Oyugi whose effort came off Robert Mapigano before Wellington Ochieng ensured it did not cross the line.

Mapigano was the busier of the two goalkeepers and had to be alert to ensure the champions did not concede.

The match was seemingly headed for a goalless draw, but the inevitable occurred in stoppage time. A fierce shot from the midfield found the upright, and the ball kindly fell to substitute Francis Afriyie who rounded the keeper before tapping the ball into an empty net.