VIDEO: Cape Town City and Maritzburg United involved in tunnel bust-up

Siphesihle Ndlovu of Maritzburg United is challenged by Thabo Nodada of Cape Town City, August 2018
Both Cape Town City and Maritzburg United could face the music from the PSL for an incident that took place in the tunnel on Saturday afternoon

A scuffle broke in the tunnel in a league match between Cape Town City and Maritzburg United this past weekend, and both teams could be in hot water with the Premier Soccer League (PSL). 

Things got heated when Rushine De Reuck went to fetch the ball on the Cape Town City bench only for one of the club officials to withhold it in an attempt to the delay the game. 

At the time, the Citizens were leading 3-2 deep into stoppage time, and De Reuck wanted to resume play as soon as possible as his side was looking for a goal that would have salvaged a point for them.

De Reuck then shoved the official but the City bench reacted angrily in retaliation and protested that the Maritzburg Utd player be given his second yellow which the referee did, resulting in a red card. 

As the player left the pitch, the fourth official alerted the match referee that the Cape Town City official was also guilty and that also resulted in a dismissal. 

The two individuals took their fight to the tunnel, and the two benches rushed to intervene, with City head coach Benni McCarthy as well as Maritzburg United goalkeeper coach Ronnie Kananelo among those who went in to protect their own. 

However, it is unclear at this stage as to who started the fight between De Reuck and City's official in the tunnel, but a video posted on social media by Thomas Mlambo of the SABCSport clearly shows that things really got heated. 

The PSL, through Luxolo September, has responded on the matter, saying the case is with the league's prosecutor who will then make a decision. 

"We are aware of what happened there – it was on television. We have to follow the processes. Currently, the matter is with the league prosecutor. I do not know if/when he will take action (this is his independent decision, the PSL does not get involved.)," - Lux September told Goal.

Goal contacted the fourth official for the match, Nasief Julies, but he refused to comment and directed all the questions to Tenda Mosikhwa, who is the head of referees at the South African Football Association (Safa). 

 Mosikhwa said the matter is with the review committee, who will then come up with the ruling before going public. 

“In fact what we do match commissioner supplies us with the report. We handed this to the review committee that is sitting today to look at the images and everything else relating to the incident before coming up with a ruling. Unfortunately, we cannot comment on anything at the moment. Yes, hopefully, you will get something tomorrow if they definitely give us something later this evening once they are done,” he told Goal