Orlando Pirates set the record straight regarding Thabo Matlaba's future

Comments()
Backpagepix
The 30-year-old full-back remains a Pirates player, according to the Soweto giants

Premier Soccer League (PSL) giants Orlando Pirates have set the record straight regarding the future of Thabo Matlaba.

This comes after Chippa United announced that they had signed Matlaba along with Thamsanqa Sangweni and Bernard Morrison from the Buccaneers last Friday.

However, Bucs only confirmed Sangweni’s transfer to the Chilli Boys following a short spell with the club on the same day. 

On Tuesday, Ghanaian forward Bernard Morrison revealed that he has parted ways with the Buccaneers, but dismissed Chippa’s statement as fake news.

The Buccaneers have now broken their silence regarding Matlaba, who has been a loyal servant since joining the Johannesburg-based club from Free State Stars six years ago. 

In an interview with Isolezwe, Pirates media officer Thandi Merafe explained that Matlaba remains their player. 

"It's difficult to talk about Matlaba's issue because we have never written or said anything about him,” Merafe told the publication

“Usually, we announce on our website whenever a new player is signed or released. The truth is that we have never said anything about Matlaba,” he continued.

“So, that means he's our player. On what Chippa said, I think they are the ones who should respond," he concluded. 

Last year, Chippa club cchairman Siviwe ‘Chippa’ Mpengesi announced that they had signed Brighton Mhlongo from Pirates ahead of the 2017/18 season.

Article continues below

However, lanky goalkeeper’s agent, Mike Makaab of Prosport International took to social media to deny the Chippa boss’ claims. 

The player's manager insisted that neither Bucs nor Chippa had contacted his camp regarding Mhlongo's transfer.

Mhlongo did eventually leave the Buccaneers on a season-long loan deal following successful talks between Makaab and Chippa.

Close