Travel ban could harm US World Cup bid – Ceferin

Comments
Donald Trump's desire to block travellers from seven Muslim-majority countries will hamper his nation's hopes of hosting the competition

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin says that if the USA introduces a travel ban, it could harm the country’s bid to host the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

Liverpool reach a new level of embarrassing

US President Donald Trump is in the process of trying to ban immigration from seven Muslim-majority countries, having previously been thwarted in his attempts to do so by the federal court.

Ceferin is concerned that such measures will work against the nation as it attempts to bring the World Cup back to its shores for the first time since 1994.

“I am sure it will not help the United States to get the World Cup,” he told the New York Times. “If players cannot come because of political decisions, or populist decisions, then the World Cup cannot be played there.

“That’s true for the United States, but also all the other countries that would like to organise a World Cup.

“It is the same for the fans, and the journalists, of course. It is the World Cup. They should be able to attend the event, whatever their nationality is. But let’s hope it does not happen.”

Ceferin has also spoken out against his concern regarding Brexit, and the possibility that star players are not allowed into the UK for the Champions League final, which is due to take place in Cardiff on June 3.

Next article:
'Mbappe deserves to win the Ballon d'Or' – Buffon
Next article:
Pogba and Mourinho disagreement over Instagram video, confirms Pereira
Next article:
'Sane plays like he's standing in a village square' - Ziege hits out at Man City star
Next article:
Slovenia sack Kavcic as head coach
Next article:
ISL 2018-19: Substitutions worked for ATK, says Steve Coppell
Close