Simon Mignolet has endured another testing campaign at Liverpool but insists he has no intention of seeking a move away from the club.
The Belgium international, who was dropped from the starting XI during Brendan Rodgers’ time in charge of the Reds, has flitted in and out of Jurgen Klopp’s plans this season.
He started the campaign as first-choice goalkeeper, but lost his place to Loris Karius in mid-September.
Mignolet had to make do with EFL Cup outings until December, when Klopp shuffled his pack again on the back of some error-strewn appearances from Karius.
The 28-year-old is now firmly back in favour and intends to make the No 1 jersey his own, with there being no desire on his part to break a five-and-a-half-year contract penned back in January 2016.
“It’s a good thing. Every time when there’s been competition in my career I’ve got stronger,” Mignolet told the Liverpool Echo.
“It’s important to have that, especially at a big club like Liverpool. Loris played well at Southampton. But it’s not that I feel like I have to prove something now.
“Maybe a few years back I’d have been thinking ‘one mistake and I could be out’ but I don’t think like that any more. I just think about my own performance and how I can help the team.
“Last year I signed a contract for five-and-a-half years. That says it all. I am here to be No 1 and I want to stay here.”
Mignolet came back into favour for a 3-0 victory over Middlesbrough on December 14 and has now appeared in six successive Premier League fixtures.
Karius, in contrast, is back to being Liverpool’s cup keeper, having been selected for meetings with Plymouth and Southampton in the FA Cup and EFL Cup respectively.