Dembele's forced Barcelona transfer 'a catastrophe' according to Sammer

Comments()
Matthias Sammer has slammed the French winger for his behaviour in forcing a move away from Borussia Dortmund to the Catalan club

Ousmane Dembele's protracted transfer from Borussia Dortmund to Barcelona finally went through on Friday, but former Bayern Munich sporting director Matthias Sammer has branded it "a catastrophe".

The talented French winger was immediately linked with a move to Camp Nou following Neymar's world-record move to Paris Saint-Germain.

BVB 13/2 to beat Hertha Berlin 2-0

Dembele did everything he could to push the deal through and was subsequently suspended by Dortmund.

He was not the only man linked with Barca, with Liverpool's Philippe Coutinho also said to be wanted by the Catalan giants, but ultimately it was the France international who succeeded in getting his move.

Barca confirmed a deal had been struck with Dortmund that will see the Bundesliga side receive €105 million up front, and potentially another €42m in add-ons.

Dembele will undergo a medical on Monday before completing his switch, the 20-year-old agreeing a five-year deal.

Article continues below

But while some were celebrating the move, Sammer, who worked as Bayern's director of sporting operations until 2016, is outraged that Dembele's behaviour has essentially been rewarded with exactly what he wanted.

"His strike brought him where he wanted," Sammer told Eurosport. "This is a catastrophe.

"In the interest of the cleanliness of football, such a behaviour should not be rewarded."

Next article:
Klopp hopeful over Henderson fitness as Liverpool injury list grows
Next article:
'Messi is fundamental' - Valverde accepts Barca will miss injured star
Next article:
Inter, El Clasico and more - which games will Messi miss with broken arm?
Next article:
Manchester City announce partnership with Tappit in the UK and Asia Pacific
Next article:
End of an era: Messi and Ronaldo miss out on Clasico for first time in more than a decade
Close