Allardyce denies Everton contact but is open to talks

Comments()
The former England boss has not yet been approached by the Toffees, but admits the prospect of taking over is one he would consider

Sam Allardyce has denied having contact with Everton about becoming Ronald Koeman's permanent successor but suggested he would be open to talks.

Koeman was sacked after last month's 5-2 defeat at home to Arsenal, with interim boss David Unsworth overseeing elimination from the EFL Cup and Europa League before earning his first win in dramatic fashion against Watford on Sunday.

Everton 10/1 to be relegated

Burnley manager Sean Dyche has been heavily linked with the position at Goodison Park, but reports on Tuesday suggested former England boss Allardyce, who stated he was retired after leaving Crystal Palace ahead of the 2017-18 season, was leading the race for the role.

Asked if he had spoken with Everton's majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri about taking over, the 63-year-old told talkSPORT: "No, I haven't."

Article continues below

However, Allardyce did not rule out of a return to management on Merseyside.

"It's like everything else, if somebody comes calling, there's the opportunity to speak, there's no doubt about that," he said.

Everton's 3-2 victory over Watford lifted them out of the relegation zone but they face fellow strugglers Palace at Selhurst Park after the international break.

Next article:
We Are Young Bafana: Simba’s first step towards a professional soccer career
Next article:
Real Salt Lake boosts playoff chances with big win over New England
Next article:
Pardoned Fatau Dauda returns to training with Enyimba
Next article:
Caf selects two Nigerian referees for Africa Women’s Cup of Nations
Next article:
Usman Abdallah applauds Enyimba slim win over Feeder team
Close