Ajax rule out De Ligt sale in January, but admit he could leave in summer

Comments
While offering no assurances over the defender's future beyond this season, Marc Overmars stressed he is not leaving this winter

Ajax sporting director Marc Overmars insists Matthijs de Ligt will not leave in January, yet he offered no assurances over the teenage defender's future beyond this season.

Netherlands international De Ligt, 19, has been linked with Barcelona, Roma and Manchester City ahead of transfer windows across the continent reopening again in the new year.

On Friday, Goal reported that Man City and Barcelona were set to battle for De Ligt and his team-mate Frenkie De Jong.

Despite the interest in the defender, Overmars has confirmed he will not be leaving in January.

"The percentage that De Ligt leaves Ajax in January is zero per cent," Overmars told LaRoma24.it.

Article continues below

However, Overmars was less certain on De Ligt's future past this season.

Asked whether the defender could be sold in June, Overmars replied: "Yes, I confirm it is a possibility."

De Ligt signed a four-year contract extension last year, with the deal lasting through 2021. 

Next article:
JSSL's Venetia Tan shows off her keepy-uppy skills
Next article:
Jamaica qualifies to Women's World Cup for first time after beating Panama in penalty shootout
Next article:
West Ham sweat on Arthur Masuaku’s fitness ahead of London derby
Next article:
MLS Playoffs: How Portland and Seattle can clinch postseason spots midweek
Next article:
Witsel to Dortmund is signing of the season, says Belgium boss Martinez
Close