Italian giants Inter have reportedly parted ways with manager Rafael Benitez after barely six months in charge.
It was believed that Inter’s recent triumph in the Club World Club would at least buy Benitez a few more weeks at the helm, but it appears this was not the case.
Sky Sports reported the sacking on Tuesday evening after days of speculation surrounding the future of the former Liverpool manager.
Benitez – who won the Champions League with Liverpool in 2005 – reportedly said a few days prior that he “didn’t know” if he had been sacked or not, and he also denied rumours of his sacking on the Tuesday morning.
After winning the World Club Cup, Rafa told the Inter board to “back” him, or “sack” him, and when asked about Rafa’s statement, club president Massimo Moratti refused to comment at the time, however it now seems he has taken Benitez’ advice into consideration.