Inverness CT 0-2 Celtic: Samaras & Brown strikes secure victory to send Lennon's side into Scottish Cup quarter-finals

Goals in each half are enough to see the Bhoys through to the last eight of the competition after a routine away win
Celtic have advanced to the quarter-finals of the Scottish Cup after comfortably beating Inverness 2-0, thanks to a first-half strike from Georgios Samaras and a Scott Brown penalty at the Caledonian Stadium.

Terry Butcher made two changes for the hosts, replacing goalkeeper Ryan Esson with Jonny Tuffey and Shane Sutherland with midfielder Graeme Shinnie. Neil Lennon brought in Adam Matthews, Kelvin Wilson and Samaras and Kris Commons, with James Forrest and Anthony Stokes starting on the bench.

Gary Hooper was linked with a move away from Scotland during the January transfer window, but Lennon managed to hold on the striker who had the first chance inside 10 minutes. He received a long-ball in the Inverness penalty area but was closed down and couldn't find a shot.

Butcher's side had the next chance as the game neared the half-hour mark, but Nick Ross' effort was tipped wide by Fraser Forster in the Bhoys' goal. The home-side had a penalty claim waved away from the resulting corner, as it looked as if Wilson handled.

Just after that, Commons should have opened the scoring for the visitors. He was played in by a neat ball from Hooper but made a mess of the shot and ended up on the floor.

Tuffey made a decent save from a low Hooper strike, but Celtic did deservedly take the lead just after the half-hour as Samaras smashed the ball past the keeper.

Just after the break, the visitors wasted a good chance when Samaras and Joe Ledley went for the same ball in the opponent's box and the chance was squandered.

The Hoops continued to have the better of the chances and they came closest to doubling the lead through the Greek forward, but he couldn't quite stretch enough to reach a Ledley ball across the six-yard box.

The second goal finally came in the 67th minute when David Proctor fouled Hooper in the 18-yard-box and the referee instantly gave a spot-kick. Brown fooled Tuffey to calmly double Cetic's lead.

Inverness had a decent chance to kick-start a comeback when a poor clearance from Forster nearly allowed Richie Foran to score, but the keeper recovered to save.

Then, in the final minutes, Lennon's side almost bagged a third but Claude Gnakpa's shot sailed over the bar. By this stage the home-side had tired and Celtic were able to see out the tie with ease.