News Live Scores

Martinez dismisses Coleman-to-Manchester United rumours

Everton manager Roberto Martinez has strongly denied rumours linking Seamus Coleman with a move to Manchester United in the January transfer window.

The Republic of Ireland international had been the subject of recent speculation over a move to Old Trafford but Martinez insists Coleman remains a very important part of his club's plans.

"For me that’s nothing," he told reporters. "There is nothing for me to comment really, I haven’t seen that, I have no recollection of that.

"As you can imagine what we want at the football club is to build something special and to make us stronger so the last thing we want to do is lose important players so no there has been no contact."

James McCarthy, meanwhile, has also been linked with a move in recent weeks but Martinez says the player's focus is solely on a return to full fitness.

The midfielder remains a doubt for the game away to Hull City on New Year's Day after playing only 45 minutes in the 3-2 defeat to Newcastle on Sunday.

"James McCarthy will be assessed for Thursday at the moment it’s too early on him following the Newcastle game," Martinez said.

"It was more a precaution rather than an injury but we need to be careful that he can get back to full fitness before he is facing the demands of a full 90 minutes again."

//