Pep Guardiola says that he intends to play Gabriel Jesus as a striker when the Brazilian is ready to start his Manchester City career.
Jesus trained with his team-mates for the first time on Thursday, having completed individual fitness tests on Wednesday.
The 19-year-old is working towards his first City appearance, having signed for the club in the summer but stayed with boyhood club Palmeiras to finish the Brazilian season.
He is unlikely to feature against West Ham in the FA Cup on Friday night but could be involved when City travel to Everton on January 15.
And while Guardiola says that the youngster can play out wide, he prefers him to be in goalscoring areas.
"He has played as a winger, to make movements, outside and inside, but of course he has to play close to the goal," he told reporters. "He's not a typical winger down the line, like Raz [Raheem Sterling] for example or Jesus Navas, who makes the actions for the crosses. He makes a good movement, runs in behind, and you have to use him close to Sergio [Aguero], close to our strikers."
Guardiola also urged fans and media not to expect too much of Jesus, who has made a blistering start to his Brazil career with five goals in six games and scored 12 times to help Palmeiras win the league title for the first time in over 20 years.
"He's 19-20 years old, so he's so, so young," he added. "He's strong because, when you are able to play as a No.9 for Brazil, I think it's good, but I don't want to put him under a lot of pressure, saying that he has to solve our problems. What he has to do is play as freely as possible and score as many goals as possible when he's going to play and I think he's going to help us in that."
Jesus may not be the only new arrival at the Etihad Stadium this month, with Guardiola keen to sign defensive reinforcements.
City have been linked with a move for Sevilla midfielder Steven N'Zonzi, who has a buy-out clause of £25.6 million.
But Guardiola would not be drawn on the speculation, insisting that "now is not the moment to talk". The City boss did suggest, however, that he has no need to bring in a midfielder.
"Since I am manager from Manchester City, we are interested in a thousand million players so we are going to play with the team. If we need something, maybe it's at the back, central defenders or full-backs, maybe, but that is a position we have cover enough and the next season is the next season."
Goal reported earlier this week that City are indeed open to signing a midfielder this month , albeit on a short-term basis, to cover for the absence of the injured Ilkay Gundogan.