Sampdoria - Inter Preview: Nerazzurri desperate to bounce back from Juve defeat in rearranged clash
Struggling Nerazzurri can rise to fifth in Serie A with a win while mid-table Sampdoria would move into the top half with three points
By Jerrad Peters
Mustafi, Palombo, Gastaldello
Silvestri, Polli, Krsticic, Obiang, Estigarribia
Ranocchia, Samuel, Juan Jesus
Zanetti, Gargano, Kovacic, Pereira
Inter will still be feeling the effects of Saturday’s emotional Derby d’Italia defeat to Juventus when they visit Sampdoria in a mid-week match at the Stadio Comunale Luigi Ferraris.
Although Juan Jesus is back from suspension - which means coach Andrea Stramaccioni can return to his preferred three-man defence - Esteban Cambiasso is unavailable after being shown a red card for a nasty challenge on Sebastian Giovinco as time expired against the Bianconeri.
Striker Diego Milito is out for the rest of the season with a knee injury while midfielder Joel Obi, sidelined since February, revealed on Monday that he would be able to play later this month or early next following successful surgery on his quadriceps muscle.
On the other side of the ball Sampdoria forward Eder misses out through suspension and will be replaced by Gianluca Sansone.
Manager Dellio Rossi will also go into Wednesday’s match without a pair of full-backs as both Simon Poulsen and Andrea Costa are unavailable due to muscle problems.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- This match was initially supposed to have been played on March 17 but was postponed due to bad weather.
- Inter have won just one of their last five Serie A matches and two of their last nine and have fallen to seventh in the standings.
- Rodrigo Palacio’s goal against Juventus last weekend took him to 10 in Serie A this season, putting him ahead of the injured Diego Milito for the team's leading scorer.
The Argentine is 5/1 with Paddy Power to score first in this game.
- Sampdoria have drawn and lost their last two Serie A matches but come into Wednesday’s encounter with Inter having kept eight clean sheets in their last 10 outings.
- Coming into the 2012-13 Serie A season Sampdoria were handed a one-point deduction for their role in the 2011-12 corruption scandal.
- This will be the 131st meeting between Sampdoria and Inter, of which the Nerazzurri have won 71 and lost only 20. Sampdoria last beat Inter on this ground in September 2009.
|William Hill: £25 in free bets|
|Sign up with bet365 for a 100% deposit bonus up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Sampdoria 0-2 Inter
- 21.15 %
Sampdoria 1-2 Inter
- 14.66 %
Sampdoria 1-3 Inter
- 11.94 %
|Serie A (SR-A)||13 Apr 2014||Sampdoria 0 - Inter 4|
|Serie A (SR-A)||1 Dec 2013||Inter 1 - Sampdoria 1|
|Serie A (SR-A)||3 Apr 2013||Sampdoria 0 - Inter 2|
|Serie A (SR-A)||31 Oct 2012||Inter 3 - Sampdoria 2|
|Serie A (SR-A)||27 Feb 2011||Sampdoria 0 - Inter 2|
|13 Apr 2014||Sampdoria 0 - Inter 4||SR-A|
|6 Apr 2014||Lazio 2 - Sampdoria 0||SR-A|
|30 Mar 2014||Sampdoria 0 - Fiorentina 0||SR-A|
|26 Mar 2014||Sassuolo 1 - Sampdoria 2||SR-A|
|23 Mar 2014||Sampdoria 5 - Hellas Verona 0||SR-A|
|29||Lorenzo De Silvestri||Defender|
|1||Angelo Da Costa||Goalkeeper|
The Argentina U-20 international leads Sampdoria with nine Serie A goals so far this season and scored a memorable quadruple in his side’s 6-0 win over Pescara on January 27. He has managed only a pair of goals in his seven appearances since, however, and will be looking to go on another scoring run against Inter Milan.
The unlikeliest of central playmakers, Guarin has risen to the occasion in the absence of Diego Milito, slotting into a creative midfield role and allowing both Rodrigo Palacio and Antonio Cassano to operate in tandem up top. His best performance so far this season came when he scored twice in Inter’s 3-1 win away to Cluj in the Europa League.
Inter are wounded at the moment and Stramaccioni is under immense pressure to turn things around in time to qualify for the Champions League. Sampdoria, meanwhile, are capable of playing some of the stingiest defense in Italy. Don’t expect a barrage of goals in this one. The hosts should feel good about their chances of taking at least a draw from their famous guests.