AC Milan - Roma Preview: Champions look to bounce back from Coppa Italia exit
Massimiliano Allegri's men failed to progress past Juventus in their semi-final clash on Tuesday, but will try to resume their winning run when Luis Enrique's men come to town
By Livio Caferoglu
Bonera, Mexes, Thiago Silva, Mesbah
Aquilani, Van Bommel, Nocerino
Ibrahimovic, El Shaarawy
Taddei, Kjaer, Heinze, Jose Angel
Gago, De Rossi, Pjanic
AC Milan have a seemingly endless list of names on the sidelines, as Alexandre Pato, Filippo Inzaghi, Rodney Strasser, Ignazio Abate, Robinho and Flavio Roma, Mathieu Flamini and Antonio Cassano are all out of contention.
With that to contend with, plus the suspension of Luca Antonini, three changes are set to be made from the 2-2 draw with Juventus in the Coppa Italia semi-final second leg on Tuesday, as Daniele Bonera, Mark van Bommel and Antonio Nocerino are waiting in the wings.
Meanwhile for Roma, they are also likely to make minimal alterations from the side that picked up a 1-0 win against Genoa earlier in the week. Miralem Pjanic and Francesco Totti should come into the XI at the expense of Leandro Greco and Erik Lamela.
However, defensive pair Nicolas Burdisso and Juan are not expected to return to fitness until the latter stages of the season.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- AC Milan have won just two of their last five home games in Serie A despite leading the table.
- However, they have won five of their last six in the league, including three straight victories without conceding a goal.
- Milan have a clear advantage in the head-to-head, winning 70 of the 152 league matches the two have contested, drawing 45 and losing 37.
- Roma come into the match on the back of two successive victories, having ended a run of consecutive defeats.
- Their away form is one of the worst in the division, having lost four of their last five games on the road prior to the recent win against Palermo.
- Roma won the last time these two teams met at San Siro, as Marco Borriello scored the only goal in a 1-0 win here last season.
|William Hill: £25 in free bets|
|Sign up with bet365 for a 100% deposit bonus up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
AC Milan 2-0 Roma
- 21.99 %
AC Milan 1-2 Roma
- 15.4 %
AC Milan 3-1 Roma
- 11.17 %
|Serie A (SR-A)||16 Dec 2013||AC Milan 2 - Roma 2|
|Serie A (SR-A)||12 May 2013||AC Milan 0 - Roma 0|
|Serie A (SR-A)||22 Dec 2012||Roma 4 - AC Milan 2|
|Serie A (SR-A)||24 Mar 2012||AC Milan 2 - Roma 1|
|Serie A (SR-A)||29 Oct 2011||Roma 2 - AC Milan 3|
|13 Apr 2014||AC Milan 1 - Catania 0||SR-A|
|7 Apr 2014||Genoa 1 - AC Milan 2||SR-A|
|29 Mar 2014||AC Milan 3 - Chievo 0||SR-A|
|26 Mar 2014||Fiorentina 0 - AC Milan 2||SR-A|
|23 Mar 2014||Lazio 1 - AC Milan 1||SR-A|
|92||Stephan El Shaarawy||Striker|
|16||Daniele De Rossi||Midfielder|
|17||Pablo Daniel Osvaldo||Striker|
|-||Fabio Henrique Simplicio||Midfielder|
|Pablo Daniel Osvaldo|
Milan's dominant recent form at San Siro coupled with Roma's below-par showings away from home should result in a fairly comfortable win for the hosts on paper. However, as we have seen elsewhere in Europe, the times are a changing, and there is every chance Luis Enrique's men may spring up a surprise.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed