Champions League Preview: Arsenal - Montpellier
The English side heads into the clash unbeaten in three games, while the French champions have gone four matches without a win after their disappointing start to the season
By Joe Doyle
Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Vermaelen
Arteta, Cazorla, Wilshere
Walcott, Giroud, Podolski
Congre, Yanga-Mbiwa, El Kaoutari, Bedimo
Cabella, Estrada, Belhanda, Saihi
There could be an appearance at some point for Chuba Akpom, who has been given a Champions League squad number by Arsene Wenger, but it is likely he will be on the bench at best. One Gunner who definitely will not be playing is Emmanuel Frimpong, who has joined Charlton on loan.
Elsewhere, Abou Diaby (thigh), Lukasz Fabianski (ankle), Gervinho (ankle), Kieran Gibbs (hip) and Tomas Rosicky (Achilles) are all still missing, but Wojciech Szczesny is likely to start again after making his comeback in the north London derby, as did Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, who should start from the bench.
Montpellier is likely to make a couple of changes after a 1-1 draw against Valenciennes at the weekend, with Younes Belhanda missing the clash in Ligue 1 due to suspension. The midfielder is likely to come back into the side in the center of the field.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Arsenal has won only 56 percent of its home games in all competitions this season.
- Mikel Arteta (pictured) became the first player in the Premier League to complete 1000 passes this season during the 5-2 win over Tottenham.
- The Gunners are unbeaten in their last three games.
- Arsene Wenger's side has gone five games without keeping a clean sheet, and has conceded 14 goals in those games.
- Last season's French champion Montpellier is currently 15th in Ligue 1, 11 points off the league leader Lyon.
- The French champions have gone four games without a win.
- Rene Girard's team has lost eight of 18 games in all competitions this season.
- The Ligue 1 side has seen a player sent off in each of its last two matches.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to $100 CAD|
Top 3 Predictions
Arsenal FC 3-0 Montpellier Herault SC
- 25.76 %
Arsenal FC 3-1 Montpellier Herault SC
- 19.12 %
Arsenal FC 2-0 Montpellier Herault SC
- 13.53 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||2012-11-21||Arsenal FC 2 - Montpellier Herault SC 0|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||2012-09-18||Montpellier Herault SC 1 - Arsenal FC 2|
|2014-04-15||Arsenal FC 3 - West Ham United 1||EPL|
|2014-04-12||Wigan Athletic 1 - Arsenal FC 1||FA|
|2014-04-06||Everton 3 - Arsenal FC 0||EPL|
|2014-03-29||Arsenal FC 1 - Manchester City 1||EPL|
|2014-03-25||Arsenal FC 2 - Swansea City 2||EPL|
|Montpellier Herault SC|
|2014-04-11||Montpellier Herault SC 2 - Olympique de Marseille 3||Lig1|
|2014-04-05||EA Guingamp 1 - Montpellier Herault SC 2||Lig1|
|2014-03-29||Montpellier Herault SC 0 - Valenciennes FC 0||Lig1|
|2014-03-22||FC Nantes 2 - Montpellier Herault SC 1||Lig1|
|2014-03-16||Montpellier Herault SC 1 - Girondins de Bordeaux 1||Lig1|
|21||Abdelhamid El Kaoutari||Defender|
|5||Vitorino Hilton da Silva||Defender|