News Live Scores

Tuesday's PSL Review: AmaZulu and Cape Town City win, Maritzburg United frustrated by Chippa United

22:48 GMT+3 27/11/2018
Sphiwe Mahlangu, Highlands Park & Siyabonga Nomvethe, AmaZulu, November 2018
Usuthu snapped their seven-match winless run in the league, while the Citizens secured their third successive win

AmaZulu FC returned to winning ways in the Premier Soccer League (PSL) when they defeated Highlands Park at the Makhulong Stadium on Tuesday night.

The first chance of the game fell for Lindokuhle Mbatha a few minutes into the game, but the experienced attacker was denied by AmaZulu goalkeeper Siyabonga Mbatha.

Highlands Park shot-stopper Marlon Heugh was called into action on the half-hour mark and he made a good save to deny AmaZulu winger Augustine Ramphela.

The two teams were locked at 0-0 at the interval following a lively first half.

An entertaining second half then followed and the deadlock was broken by Siyabonga Nomvethe, who scored four minutes after the restart to make it 1-0 to AmaZulu.

However, Highlands Park fought back to level matters through Mbatha before the hour-mark.

AmaZulu pushed for a late winner and they managed to score through Emiliano Tade, who scored with 21 minutes left on the clock.

The goal proved to be the winning goal as AmaZulu contained Highlands Park to ultimately register their first win in eight matches.

Meanwhile, Cape Town City continued their good run of form in the PSL with victory over Polokwane City at the Old Peter Mokaba Stadium. 

The visitors broke the deadlock just seven minutes into the game and it was Ayanda Patosi, who hit the back of the net with a good finish to make it 1-0 to City.

Rise and Shine then pressed the Citizens as they looked to level matters with Jabulani Maluleke pulling the strings in the middle of the park for the home side.

City goalkeeper Peter Leeuwenburgh had to make a brilliant diving save to deny Polokwane City's attacking midfielder Salulani Phiri, who had unleashed a powerful long-range shot just before the half-time break.

The save ensured that City were leading 1-0 at the break.

The Citizens doubled their lead after the restart through Siphelele Mthembu, who scored after Thabo Nodada's low shot was parried into the former's path by Polokwane goalkeeper Harold Ndlovu.

Rise and Shine were then reduced to 10 men when Maluleke was sent off in the 69th minute, but they managed to grab a late consolation goal through Mohammed Anas, who scored from the spot-kick after the hosts were awarded a late penalty.

Ultimately, Cape Town City emerged 2-1 winners over Polokwane on the night after containing the hosts in the dying minutes of the game.

Lastly, Maritzburg United were frustrated by a stubborn Chippa United side in a match which was played at the Harry Gwala Stadium. 

The Team of Choice created goalscoring chances in the opening stages of the game as they looked to break the deadlock, and they nearly scored when Deolin Mekoa forced Chippa goalkeeper Daniel Akpeyi into a decent save from a free-kick situation.

Mekoa, who is a former South Africa under-23 international, was looking lively for the hosts and he unleashed a powerful shot which narrowly missed the target towards the half-hour mark.

The visitors grew in confidence as the game continued, and Ruzaigh Gamildien forced Richard Ofori into two good saves as the visitors pushed for the opening goal.

The score was 0-0 at the end of the first 45 minutes.

A relatively quiet second half then followed as the two teams struggled to convert their chances even after the introduction of striker Andrea Fileccia.

Daine Klate was introduced by the Chilli Boys in the closing stages of the game as the visitors looked to grab a late winner.

However, the hosts stood firm at the back and two teams had to settle for a share of the spoils after the 90 minutes.