Woodburn makes history as Liverpool march to a record semi-final

The 17-year-old became the club's youngest-ever scorer after finding the back of the net in the 2-0 League Cup quarter-final victory over Leeds

"And his name didn't even make the back sheet of the programme." On this day in 1998, a teenage Steven Gerrard was introduced to the Anfield crowd with that piece of commentary against Blackburn Rovers.

Eighteen years later, Ben Woodburn became Liverpool’s youngest-ever goalscorer - beating Michael Owen’s record by just under 100 days - with his name also left off the back of the matchday booklet for Tuesday night’s League Cup quarter-final against Leeds United.

Having made his first-team bow in the final minutes of the 2-0 victory over Sunderland at the weekend, the 17-year-old made his first impact for the Reds against Garry Monk’s men with the symmetry complete as Gerrard watched on from the Main Stand.

Divock Origi got the first on 76 minutes before Woodburn smashed high into the net in front of the Kop shortly afterwards as Liverpool progressed to the semi-finals on a night when the youngsters starred.

Ovie Ejaria and Trent Alexander-Arnold also turned in accomplished displays, with the latter setting up the opener.

It was a triumphant end for Liverpool following a poignant start to proceedings. The singing of You’ll Never Walk Alone prior to kick off felt particularly emotive, with an amplified a cappella version following when the music cut. The tragic plane crash in Colombia on Tuesday morning may have happened on a different continent, but it hit close to home.

Lucas Leiva, Liverpool captain for the night and the club’s longest-serving player, knew some of the Chapecoense footballers aboard the ill-fated aircraft. He asked Jurgen Klopp whether he could wear a black armband as a mark of respect, with the German informing him that every player would do so to pay tribute to those affected by the heart-wrenching disaster, which claimed 71 lives.

A minute’s silence was also impeccably observed, while Liverpool supporters in the Kop too showed their solidarity beyond a moving version of the club’s anthem by recreating a Brazil flag in red.

On an incredibly bitter night on Merseyside, there was little on-pitch action to distract from the freeze. Simon Mignolet made an early intervention to deny Hadi Sacko early on, before comfortably saving from Kemar Roofe.

Gini Wijnaldum - one of just three players to be retained in the starting line-up as Klopp made eight changes from the 2-0 win over Sunderland - had Liverpool’s first real opportunity. His side-footed effort was tipped over by Marco Silvestri, who later watched Emre Can stab an underhit backpass wide.

Both sides elevated their attacking play in the second 45. Leeds were denied by the woodwork when Roofe’s curler from 20 yards had Mignolet beaten but came off the inside of the post.

Kyle Bartley then headed a corner wide, before Mignolet did well to get down and deny Roofe. It was Liverpool’s turn to be denied by the post, with Wijnaldum beating Silvestri with a low shot after being supplied by Sadio Mane before watching it hit the woodwork.

The hosts didn’t have to wait much longer after that for the breakthrough, though. Origi, the man who finally broke Sunderland’s resistance on Saturday, bagged the opener again, smartly sliding in to bury a superb ball in from Alexander-Arnold.

With 10 minutes of normal time remaining, Woodburn doubled the advantage after fine build-up from Mane, Origi and Wijnaldum to make his little bit of history and send Liverpool, now unbeaten in 15 games across all competitions, marching on to a record 17th League Cup semi-final.

Klopp promised "something special" from his side ahead of the season, and they have certainly been delivering - regardless of how many alterations the manager makes to his line-up.