Three accused in Moses Mabhida Stadium chaos appear at Durban Magistrates Court

Moses Mabhida Stadium, April 2018
Khwezilomo Madiba, Siphosenkosi Memela and John Khumalo were released on bail on Wednesday

Three suspects have appeared before the Durban Magistrates Court for their involvement in the ugly scenes that engulfed the Moses Mabhida Stadium during a Nedbank Cup semi-final match between Kaizer Chiefs and Free State Stars a fortnight ago.

Khwezilomo Madiba, Siphosenkosi Memela and John Khumalo are accused of public violence during a soccer match at the 2010 Fifa World Cup venue and made their maiden appearance in court on Wednesday.

The trio were released on bail of R1 000 each, but were told not to attend any sporting events and maintain their court appearance – they are set to re-appear before magistrate Mohamed Mota on May 25.

Madiba, Memela and Khumalo are charged with public violence, pitch invasion and contravening the Safety at Sports Events Recreation Act.

Goal 50 Revealed: The best 50 players in the world

Although all three men said they intended to plead guilty, Memela chose to have his own lawyer, and it is alleged that he was the one who damaged a camera that belonged to Premier Soccer League’s (PSL) broadcasting partner, SuperSport.

Moreover, Memela’s face was also distributed on social media platforms after being identified by social media users who went through footage of the chaos and violent scenes that ensued after Amakhosi’s 2-0 loss.

According to the Independent Media, Mota said the men should consider the impact of their actions on the country and the city.

Mota said all the men, who are parents should have known better. These are the latest arrests of people who were nabbed following the violence that broke out after the Ke Yona clash.

After assessing the damages, stadium management authorities announced that the damage to the stadium was an estimated R2.6 million and about 18 people were injured.

Although the stadium manager, Vusi Mazibuko said they were looking at improving security at the venue, the PSL put the blame on a lack of sufficient security during the clash.

Meanwhile, the South African Police Services initially arrested two people, but one was released due to a lack of direct evidence linking the person to the acts of violence.

Article continues below

A 32-year-old Phelelani Jojisa was one of the people arrested, but is out on bail and he is facing charges invading the pitch among others.