Barca were immediately on to Anfield chief executive Ayre after seeing Suarez spark more controversy, but they would still have to stump up £65 million in order to get a deal done.
Liverpool refused to waver in their stance as they were reluctant to part with a prized asset and had already seen the forward serve suspensions for biting during his time at Ajax in November 2010 and following a coming together with Chelsea’s Branislav Ivanovic in April 2013.
Ayre told Liverpool John Moores University students: "The hardest one out [transfer] has to be Suarez, because a) nobody wanted him to leave and b) halfway through the process he bit somebody at the World Cup.
“I remember the sporting director of Barcelona calling me during that game, immediately as Suarez bit the player, and he said to me: 'My friend, he's bitten somebody, how can this be the price?'
"I said: 'He'd already bitten somebody when you first bid!'"
Barca snapped up Suarez, despite seeing him banned from all football activity for fourth months.
He was eventually freed to train with his new club, but would not make his debut until October 25, 2014.
Although the Camp Nou club were forced to wait before unleashing their star signing, their investment has been rewarded with 116 goals in just 143 appearances.
Liverpool, meanwhile, are still looking to fill the attacking void created by Suarez’s departure, with the club having slipped out of Premier League title contention on the back of his big-money sale.