RS Berkane 5-1 Gor Mahia (7-1 agg): End of the road for poor K'Ogalo
Goal Kenya.
K'Ogalo have been knocked out of the Caf Confederation Cup competition after a humiliating defeat to the North African side

Gor Mahia have been bundled out of Caf Confederation Cup competition after going down 5-1 (7-1 aggregate) to Renaissance Sportive Berkane.

After falling 2-0 at home in the first leg, K’Ogalo needed to win by at least a two-goal margin to advance, unfortunately, they did not have the best of preparations; most of the players who started the game had arrived at the venue less than two hours before the kick-off after navigating 620 kilometers from Casablanca, by bus.

In the early exchanges, Berkane had several opportunities to take the lead, but poor finishing and indecisiveness in front of the goal bailed K’Ogalo out. Hamdi Laachir went down in the box with seven minutes on the clock following a slight touch from Joash Onyango, but the referee was not interested. 

It all looked promising for the East African side in the first 15 minutes; they gave their best and ensured they pushed their hosts as much as they received.

However, they fell behind after 22 minutes; a seemingly harmless cross from the right was mistimed by captain Harun Shakava, and Togolese international Kodjo Laba fully capitalised on it to score his fourth in the entire campaign.

Two minutes later, it was all level as Lawrence Juma's screamer found the back of the net thanks to a well-chested ball by Francis Kahata, who made the best of a lapse by the hosts.

Gor Mahia keeper Peter Odhiambo was called into action in the 28th minute to deny El Helali following a poor clearance at the back. Gor Mahia was living dangerously, and a few moments later Laba miscued his effort from 12-yards, with only the goalkeeper to beat.

Berkane captain Mohammed Aziz made it 2-1 with a well-timed header from a corner ball. Kenneth Muguna should have cleared the ball but he wasn't able to recover in time after being caught out of position.

Shakava, who was not having the best day, slipped in the 36th minute to gift El Helali possession, and the latter managed to position himself well and curl the ball way beyond Odhiambo to give his side a 3-1 lead.

Coach Hassan Oktay was forced to replace Shakava with Joachim Oluoch, but the damage had already been done and the aggregate score had been extended to 5-1, giving Gor Mahia slim hopes of making things better in the second half.,

Article continues below

It took the North African side just 12 minutes, after the break, to score their fourth. K’Ogalo conceded a corner, and defender Issoufou Dayo came in unmarked to get the ball into the back of the net.

Substitute Youssef Essaiydy put the icing on the cake with a cool finish in the 86th minute after the visitors failed to clear a free-kick.

Gor Mahia will now turn their attention to the Kenyan Premier League (KPL) title chase where they are joint leaders with Sofapaka on 44 points.

Comments ()