Bonucci arrival could signal AC Milan formation change

ShareClose Comments
The defender's arrival at AC Milan could see head coach Vincenzo Montella opt for a three-man defence for the 2017-18 Serie A season

Vincenzo Montella has hinted that AC Milan could follow in the footsteps of Juventus and Chelsea and revert to a three-man defence next season following the arrival of Leonardo Bonucci.

Bonucci made the surprise switch from Serie A champions Juve to the San Siro last week after the two clubs agreed a reported €40million fee for the Italy international.

The 30-year-old is one of 10 new faces at Milan ahead of the 2017-18 campaign as Montella looks to guide the club back into the Champions League for the first time since 2014.

Get AC Milan title odds

In recent seasons Bonucci has played in a back three with Giorgio Chiellini and Andrea Barzagli for Juve and Italy and Montella could be willing to adopt the same tactic.

Leonardo Bonucci Juventus 

"I am evaluating the players that I have available on a daily basis," he said after Milan's International Champions Cup defeat to Borussia Dortmund on Tuesday.

"I have so many players, I think they're capable of offering different tactical solutions.

"Bonucci's arrival, for example, could see me favour a three-man defence, but it's difficult to know for sure right now."

Milan were without Bonucci for the 3-1 defeat to Dortmund, but he could make his first appearance for the Rossoneri against Bayern Munich on Saturday.

Next article:
Selangor working to secure new home ground, says manager
Next article:
January transfer news & rumours: Alexis pictured in Man Utd shirt after medical
Next article:
ISL 2017-18: Midfield and injury woes continue to strangle Kerala Blasters
Next article:
How JDT could line-up against Muangthong United
Next article:
'Not much changed' - Zidane boosted by clinical Real Madrid
Close