Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas has said that Nabil Fekir’s reported move to Liverpool is far from a certainty, denying that there has even been contact between the clubs.
Fekir played a leading role in sending OL to the Champions League group stages next season, scoring 18 times and creating seven more in 30 outings for the Rhone side as they finished third in Ligue 1.
Such stellar performances have caught the eye of many of Europe’s biggest clubs, but while Aulas admits that there has been interest in his ace, he has said that no official talks have been opened, either with suitors or the player.
“We simply know that teams are interested,” Aulas, who once proclaimed that he preferred his No.10 even to Neymar, said. “His agent, Jean-Pierre Bernes has told us so.
“There have been no discussions either with Nabil or with other clubs, so it’s very premature.
“He’s also hesitating about whether he wants to play in the Champions League with Lyon.”
Fekir, who has made Didier Deschamps’ France squad for the World Cup, was recovering from a serious knee injury the last time Lyon played in Europe’s elite competition, in the 2016-17 season. He has made five appearances for OL in the competition but has yet to show his full potential as a result of those problems.
He has not dropped any clear hints as to his future, simply commenting: “We’ll see,” when asked to discuss speculation earlier this month.
Aulas, meanwhile, has previously declared to SFR Sport: “You will have to be very, very rich to sign Nabil Fekir this year.”
There has been speculation that the Lyon-born playmaker will join the Reds in a €70 million (£62m/ $82m) deal after they take part Saturday’s Champions League final against Real Madrid.
Arsenal and Chelsea have also been associated with a move for the 24-year-old, who has spent his whole professional career at OL, where he has played 153 times since debuting in 2013. Meanwhile, he has turned out 10 time for France, scoring one goal.