Coutinho opens up on failed Barcelona move but insists his focus is firmly on Liverpool

ShareClose Comments
The diminutive Reds playmaker has spoken about his failed move to Camp Nou, insisting he is again focused on playing for the Anfield club

Liverpool star Philippe Coutinho has revealed the details behind his collapsed transfer to Barcelona, admitting he and his family were excited about the move to Camp Nou. 

The Brazil international was marked by the Catalan club as a replacement for Neymar following his countryman's record-breaking €222 million switch to Paris Saint-Germain last month.

Liverpool 7/1 to beat Leicester 1-0

Despite Coutinho telling Liverpool he wanted to go ahead and leave for La Liga, before handing in an official transfer request in view of forcing a move through, the Reds refused to sell.

Now, having made his Premier League return to Jurgen Klopp's side in the club's 1-1 draw at home to Burnley on Saturday, Coutinho insists he is solely focused on giving his best to the Merseyside club.

Coutinho told ESPN Brasil: "What happened was a job offer and, in life, sometimes you get interested, sometimes you don’t, and in my case, as everybody knows, I got interested, my family too.

Coutinho

"But as I’ve always said, it’s a great honour to receive an offer from such a great club like that, but it’s also a great honour being here - Liverpool is great club worldwide. 

"Now I’m here and I’ll give my best, as always.

"I've never had any problems with anyone here. I've always respected the support very much of the groups. The players, the directors, the technical staff. And that hasn't changed at all. Like I said, whatever job offers you get, some interest you and others don't."

Asked if he was still feeling a sense of disappointment, he replied: "No. It's all done now. I have to work. I'm focused on working hard and to have a good year if possible. In the end, I have to help my team."

Article continues below

Klopp named Coutinho in the Reds' first team for the first time this season at the weekend, with Sadio Mane serving the first of his three-match ban for his sending off against Manchester City. 

He was eventually replaced by Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, with Klopp citing cramp as the reason behind the swap.

The draw leaves Liverpool in eighth position after five league games.

Next article:
No excuses for against Liverpool Conte despite Chelsea's travel trouble
Next article:
Pulisic status uncertain for slumping Dortmund in Revierderby
Next article:
Klopp trusts Moreno '100 per cent' despite Sevilla shocker
Next article:
Real Madrid Team News: Injuries, suspensions and line-up vs Malaga
Next article:
ISL 2017: Mumbai City FC vs FC Goa - TV channel, stream, kick-off time & match preview
Close