Andres Guardado denies MLS agreement but confirms approaches

ShareClose Comments
The midfielder has been linked with a move to expansion side LAFC and acknowledged the league has been in touch, though nothing is set

Mexico midfielder Andres Guardado says he does not have an agreement in place to join MLS, as had been reported last week, but acknowledges there have been discussions.

After reports the PSV star is set to become expansion side Los Angeles FC's first big signing emerged last week, Guardado denied any sort of agreement but did say there is something to the links.

Fortune favors bold Mexico against Portugal

"There is, I've never denied it," he told ESPN FC after Mexico's 2-2 draw with Portugal on Sunday at the Confederations Cup. "There are approaches; they've made approaches from a long time ago and there are always offers."

Last year, the 30-year-old was heavily linked to Atlanta United, which started play this year. Last week's report seemed to indicate he would join LAFC in 2018, that club's inaugural season. But the former Atlas star said he's in no hurry to return to playing his club soccer in North America.

"I've still got a year left in PSV and I'm not thinking of leaving just to leave," he said. "I'm happy there."

Guardado's immediate focus will be on New Zealand, the team Mexico faces next in the Confederations Cup before closing out the group stages with a contest against host Russia.

Next article:
Transfer news: The latest rumours from Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and all the top teams
Next article:
Real Madrid transfer news: The latest & LIVE player rumours from the Bernabeu
Next article:
Arsenal transfer news: The latest & LIVE player rumours from the Emirates Stadium
Next article:
'It's all in the past' - Klopp says Salah must continue his red-hot form
Next article:
Do World Cup flops Italy need to introduce a limit on foreigners in Serie A?
Close