thumbnail Hello,

The departure of Luis Suarez to Barcelona leaves the Reds with only two out-and-out centre forwards, though the manager admits that it is difficult to land a "top-level" candidate

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers says the Premier League club intend to pursue a big-name striker until the transfer window closes.

Monaco sharpshooter Radamel Falcao and Paris Saint-Germain forward Edinson Cavani have both been linked to the Reds, who are on the lookout for a replacement for €88 million Barcelona signing Luis Suarez.

New recruit Rickie Lambert and Daniel Sturridge are the only two recognised strikers at Anfield and the Liverpool boss is determined to land a leading centre forward, even if it means deadline-day madness on September 1.

"The money is there - and we will look to improve at the top end of the field until the very end of the window," Rodgers told reporters ahead of Sunday's Premier League opener against Southampton at Anfield.

"It's not easy to get a top-level striker, no, but we have to keep looking. We certainly need something because we haven't brought in another striker so far, apart from Rickie Lambert.

"You just never know what will happen in that last week - the window will always throw up something.

"We will persevere and the boys are working hard behind the scenes to see what information we can get on the availability of players."

Liverpool also secured the services of young striker Divock Origi this summer but the Belgium international will remain on loan at Lille for the 2014-15 season.

Related

From the web