thumbnail Hello,

Three months after an independent panel found that "strenuous attempts" were to cover up any police wrongdoing, a new application is determined to prevent further investigation

Attorney General Dominic Grieve is set to ask the High Court on Wednesday to dismiss inquest verdicts of accidental death on the 96 Liverpool victims of the Hillsborough disaster.

Three months after the Hillsborough Independent Panel confirmed that 41 of those who lost their lives during the April 1989 tragedy could have been saved, the application will go before Lord Chief Justice Lord Judge including new medical evidence and the altercation of police evidence and stadium safety.

"At this moment in time it's the most important thing for all of the families, we have waited 23 years for justice,” said Barry Devonside who lost his teenage son and travelled to London to the hearing at the High Court.

"It has gone on for far too long, I was 42 when it started, I'm closer to 66 now.

"For once in my life I am confident, it would be a major shock to everybody if the applications were rejected."

The findings concluded by the panel found that more than 160 police statements had been altered and that “strenuous attempts” had been made to deflect the blame of the disaster on the afternoon onto the fans.

Liverpool Walton MP Steve Rotheram expressed his concerns at the House of Commons that the families of the deceased may find it difficult to financially support any new legal cases.

"I think it might be helpful to say that my department is very mindful of the financial pressures faced by the Hillsborough families,” said Justice Secretary Chris Grayling in response.

"We all recognise the very difficult circumstances they have been through and they are certainly in our consideration."

Related

From the web