thumbnail Hello,

The 34-year-old has come under scrutiny of late, but he says he isn't worried and is fully focused on avoiding a similar collapse to the one the Blues suffered last season

Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas claims his critics’ calls for his sacking are not worrying him.

Glen Johnson’s last gasp winner for Liverpool at Stamford Bridge on Sunday saw Chelsea record their third defeat in four Premier League games, a run of results which has seen the Blues slip to fifth in the Premier League.

Far from being worried about the situation, however, the Portuguese boss claims he understands the reason for their poor form of late and is not worried by recent calls for his Stamford Bridge departure.

 The 34-year-old told reporters: “I understand at the moment why we’re going through this, so I’m not making any excuses.

“When results like this happen, the head of the manager is called for execution - but I’m not worried with the comments.

"All I want is to get my team back to winning ways and we’ll try to do that against Bayer Leverkusen.”

Just over a year ago, Carlo Ancelotti’s Chelsea side suffered a 3-0 home defeat to Sunderland, a result which sparked a collapse at Stamford Bridge, seeing them record just one more Premier League win that calendar year.

The collapse effectively ended the Blue’s title challenge before the turn of the year, but Villas-Boas is determined not to allow the same thing to happen to his Chelsea side, claiming they are stronger for the experience.

He continued: “As we enter a run of results - the same negative spiral that this team went through last year - we don’t want to go into a similar run of nine games.

“We can turn the results round. The emotions that these people lived last year are enough to make people want to avoid that stigma this time.”

How do you stay up to date with football when on the move? With http://m.goal.com – your best source for mobile coverage of the beautiful game.

Related

From the web