Frenchman hopes the saga surrounding his skipper reaches a favourable conclusion soon, while the club’s chief executive insists the Gunners have enough funds for transfers
The 24-year-old has spent eight years at the north London club, having left Barcelona as a teenager, but he has been heavily linked with a return to Camp Nou in recent years.
And the World Cup winner has admitting in the past that he would like to play for Barca at some point in his career.
Recent reports suggest the Gunners have given the Spanish outfit two weeks to match a €45 million asking price for the midfielder, whilst the player himself is believed to be ready to talk to Wenger in the hope of pushing through a move to the La Liga side.
Wenger told The Guardian: "We have to stop at some stage...I hope we can close that very quickly in our favour.
"For us, it's important that the team settles psychologically as quickly as possible because we have a tough start [to the Premier League]."
Fabregas fell prey to a hamstring injury and was unable to travel with the rest of the squad during their pre-season tour of Asia, but could be fit in time to face German side Cologne in a friendly on Saturday.
"We will have to see how far he is with his [hamstring] injury...normally, yes," answered Wenger, when quizzed as to whether the skipper would play in the game against the Bundesliga club.
"He is not back in full training, he is back running on the pitch and the next step is to be back in full training.
"I will have to assess him on Monday. He is in our plans. The problem we face is speculation from everywhere but my target is the same - to keep players and my desire to fight for that is the same."
Wenger was also involved in a war of words with Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini last week, when the Italian made it publicly known that he would like to sign Atletico Madrid's Sergio Aguero and Gunners midfielder Samir Nasri by the end of the month.
The former Monaco boss had responded by claiming that the ex-Inter coach had made comments that were "disrespectful" and "out of order".
Wenger said: "For us, at this period of the season, it is important that we give importance to what matters to us.
"Frankly, it doesn't take sleep away from me. I just think it is surprising that we have to face these kind of comments. You have never heard me say any word about a player."
The north London club's chief executive, Ivan Gazidis, also insisted the Gunners have no intention of speculating on any potential moves this summer.
"We don't conduct our business in public," he told Sky Sports News.
"I don't intend to put my voice into the mix.
"Arsene has been very clear and explicit on all of those subjects. I'll leave the voice of Arsenal to be his."
Despite being unwilling to dwell on the Fabregas saga, Gazidis did, however, confirm that the Gunners have funds to spend this summer.
"We do have money we can spend," said the chief executive.
"The challenge for us is a little bit different than some of the other clubs, we don't have positions where players are coming to the end of their careers and positions where there are holes.
"We have to find players who can improve on some of the positions that we currently have and add some depth.
"We want to be winners. We want to be trophy winners.
"There's a relentless focus on doing things we need to do to achieve that, but we also have to do them within the bounds of a sensible football club."