Wigan Athletic 2-2 Hull: Tigers Relegated After 2-2 Draw With Wigan

Hull unable to overturn massive goal deficit and face life in the Championship.
Wigan Athletic 2-1 Hull: Line-up & stats
Premier League results/standings

Hull's relegation to the Championship was confirmed as they were held to a 2-2 draw with Wigan Athletic. Victor Moses scored a sublime goal to put the hosts ahead before Will Atkinson's controversial goal levelled the scores, Mark Cullen's 64th minute header put the visitors ahead before Steven Gohouri again levelled the scores three minutes from time.

With the Tigers relegation to the Championship all but certain before kick-off and Wigan's Premier League status confirmed after the amazing 3-2 victory over Arsenal, both sides had little to play for and therefore brought in some young players to gain some experience.

Seemingly relaxed in their play, the home side had the first chance of the game as Jordi Gomez travelled toward the Hull goal and fizzed a shot at Matt Duke's goal which flashed just wide of the left hand post.

Wigan continued their pressure and went even closer a minute later through Hugo Rodallega. Gary Caldwell clipped a ball down the left for Maynor Figueroa, the Honduran international centred   towards Rodallega who struck the ball at goal, only to see it blocked excellently from Anthony Gardner.

Totally against the run of play, Hull were then handed a great chance as Vladimir Stojkovic's dreadful goal-kick was intercepted 25 yards from goal. Youngster Will Atkinson crossed for the giant Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink but he was unable to direct his header on target and it went wide of the goal.

Atkinson was again involved moments later as Hull ventured down the left through Kevin Kilbane. The Irishman pulled the ball back to the young midfielder who struck the ball magnificently towards goal. Unfortunately for Atkinson, the ball went straight at the flamboyant Stojkovic who managed to palm it away.

The Tigers carried on pressuring the hosts and again had a great chance to take the lead. After some scrappy play from both sides on the edge of the Wigan penalty area, the ball fell to the onrushing Kilbane whose thunderous strike went narrowly wide.

After a number of attacks from the visiting side, Wigan then got hold of the ball and started to play it around with an air of confidence.

Wigan were  awarded a corner after Steven Mouyokolo's crucial tackle stopped Rodallega advancing on goal and from the resulting set-piece the home side took the lead, scoring in three successive games for the first time in 2010.

Andy Dawson initially cleared from the corner but the ball fell to Victor Moses who ignored the run of Rodallega and cut inside from the left to wonderfully curl the ball past Duke and into the net off the post.

With Hull needing a 24-goal swing in their favour to stay in the Premier League, Iain Dowie's side rallied, albeit in vein, to get themselves back in the game but could have found themselves 2-0 down after they failed to clear a corner.

Ben Watson's set-piece was flicked on towards the far post and landed at the feet of Moses who looked certain to score but the striker somehow missed the ball completely.

In an effort to retain some pride, the visitors tried their best to get back into the game and after a number of fluent attacks they drew level in controversial circumstances.

Kilbane ventured down the left before crossing for the débutante Atkinson, but after witnessing the linesman raise his flag the Wigan defenders stopped, hoping that the referee would blow his whistle. It never came and Atkinson headed smartly into the back of the net.

Replays suggest that the linesman had flagged Atkinson offside for an earlier incident but lowered his flag as the midfielder got himself back onside in a 'new phase of play.'

With the delighted Hull fans singing 'We're going to win 10-1,' the referee blew his whistle to end the first half.

The second half started in a similar fashion to the first as the hosts attacked the Hull goal and nearly took the lead within two minutes of the restart.

Gomez carried the ball deep into the opposition half and sent a cross/shot towards the far post. The unsighted Duke made a smart save to tip the ball round the post after Gardner had missed the ball attempting to clear the danger.

The Latics then had two very good chances in quick succession. The first effort came through Rodallega who controlled well from Caldwell's long ball before hitting a snap-shot two yards over the beaten Duke's goal.

It was then the turn of Gomez to have a shot on goal after again receiving a long ball but similar to Rodallega, the Spaniards finishing left something to desire.

After soaking up a lot of Wigan possession, the Tigers, who hadn't won away from home since March 2009 took the lead against the run of play.

Mouyokolo crossed the ball from the right after the visitors were awarded a free-kick and some very suspect defending from the hosts allowed Hull's 18-year old striker Mark Cullen to head in at the far post to score on his first start.

Determined not to lose in their final home game of the season, Wigan again started to get hold of the ball and began to play some slick football.

Latics boss Roberto Martinez then brought on Scott Sinclair and Jason Scotland in replace of James McCarthy and Jordi Gomez respectively in an attempt to grab a vital goal.

Regardless of the attacking changes, it was Hull that that created chances despite the Wigan possession.

Substitute Caleb Folan went through clear on goal but the linesman flagged him offside. Caldwell gave away possession from the resulting free-kick and Hull attacked again. Looking for his second goal of the game, Cullen attempted a long-range effort but it flew over the bar.

Trying to surpass their lowest point total of 38 in the Premier League, Wigan battled until the end to grab a late goal and were rewarded in spectacular style.

A hopeful ball into the penalty area was converted by Steven Gohouri who acrobatically bicycle-kicked the ball into the net.