Mauritania has been authorised to participate in future Caf competitions following the lifting of a two-year suspension on the team for withdrawing from the 2012 Afcon qualifying
Caf has decided to lift a two-year ban imposed on Mauritania following their withdrawal from the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations qualification process, the Mauritania Football Federation (FFRIM) said on Tuesday.
“Through a letter dated May 28, CAF has responded positively to a request for waiver of suspension of the Football Federation of the Islamic Republic of Mauritania (FFRIM), introduced on the occasion of its last congress held in Libreville, Gabon, in February,” the body said.
The Mauritania national team will now be able to participate in the qualifying campaign for the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations holding in Morocco.
Upon assuming office mid last year, the new executive committee of the FFRIM had made the lifting of the suspension a priority.
Former Niger, Guinea and DR Congo coach Frenchman Patrice Neveu was appointed early this year to head the Mourabitounes.