thumbnail Hello,

The first leg matches of the Caf Champions League round of 16 were played over the weekend with a handful of teams smoothing their path towards the next round of the competition

ASO Chlef (Algeria) 0 – 0 AS Vita Club (DR Congo)  

Algerian champions ASO Chlef were held at home to a goalless draw by DR Congo’s AS Vita Club, contrasting numerous previews which had tipped the north African side to prevail following the team’s inspiring performance in the preliminary round.

JSM Bejaia (Algeria) 1 – 2 AFAD Djekanou (Cote Ivoire)          

Caf Champions League first timers from Cote d’Ivoire, AFAD Djekanou, achieved another away feat on Friday by defeating Algeria’s JSM Bejaia 2-1 at the Stade de l'Unite Maghrebine, to cart away with a solid lead ahead of the return leg in Abidjan. Kadjo Vangah Mathieu opened the scoring for the visitors in the 5th minute before reigning Ivorian footballer of the year Allegne Bobley Anderson doubled minutes before the break. The hosts were able to pull one back before full time.

A.P.R (Rwanda) 0 – 0 Etoile du Sahel (Tunisia) 

Tunisia’s Etoile du Sahel narrowly missed an away win in Kigali over military club A.P.R. of Rwanda but were able to share the spoils with the hosts after holding them to a goalless draw.

Power Dynamos (Zambia) 1 – 1 TP Mazembe (DR Congo) 

Back from their one-year ban, two-time African champions TP Mazembe’s trip to Zambia to face Power Dynamos ended in a 1-1 draw, with Tanzanian-import Mbwana Samata opening the scoring for the Corbeaux on 16 minutes and defender Kamuuzati levelling six minutes before the final whistle.

Revenue Authority (Uganda) 0 – 2 Djoliba Bamako (Mali)

Despite serious security concerns in Mali following Thursday’s military coup, Djoliba’s delegation were able to compose themselves against Uganda’s Revenue Authority, hitting home two unanswered goals against the host team, thanks to Alou Bagayoko and Mahamane Cisse.

DFC 9eme Arrondissement (C.A.R) 0 – 3 Al Hilal (Sudan)  

Sudan’s top flight side Al Hilal are almost through to the next round after handing Central African Republic’s DFC 9eme Arrondissement a 3-0 drubbing in an away fixture. Goals from Mudather Eltaib Careca, (15th) Edward Sadomba (54th) and Bakri Almadina (68th) helped seal the exhilarating victory.

Muçulmano de Maputo (Mozambique) 2 – 2 Dynamos Harare (Zimbabwe)     

Zimbabwean champions Dynamos settled for a 2-2 draw against Muçulmano of Mozambique, sharing the spoils and taking home a vital away goal advantage.

Platinum FC (Zimbabwe) 2 – 2 Al Merreikh (Sudan)      

Sudanese giants Al Merreikh could not do better than a 2-2 draw in Harare against Platinum. Mitchell Katsvairo shot the hosts into the lead after the half hour mark, but Seid Mustapha pulled level before the end of the first half. Joel Ngodzo restored Platinium’s lead 10 minutes from break but not for too long as Mike Mutiyaba quickly grabbed the 2-2 equaliser for Merreikh. Defender Norman Togara was later sent off to compound issues for the Zimbabweans.

Brikama United (Gambia) 1 – 1 Esperance (Tunisia)       

Defending champions Esperance kicked off their 2012 campaign with a 1-1 draw against Gambia’s Brikama United, however, coach Michel Decastel said he was hopeful the return leg would turn largely in favour of the north Africans.

Dolphins (Nigeria) 2 – 1 Coton Sports Garoua (Cameroun)

Nigerian club Dolphins humbled visiting Cameroon champions and 2008 runners-up Coton Sport 2-1 in Port Harcourt on Sunday. Ifeanyi Egwim opened the scoring for the home side just two minutes into the game but saw the lead cancelled out by Alim Hamdama moments later. And when Egwin failed to get a double after fluffing a 64th minute penalty, the spoils seemed likely to be shared, but a last minute strike from Owusu Adei sealed victory for the hosts.

Berekum Chelsea (Ghana) 5 – 0 Raja Casablanca (Morocco)

The biggest score of the weekend was realised by Ghana champions Berekum Chelsea, who pummelled three-time African title-holders Raja Casablanca of Morocco 5-0 to take a big step towards the next round. Striker Emmanuel Clottey scored a hat-trick followed by one each from Solomon Asante and captain Abdul Basit.

Coffee (Ethiopia) 0 – 0 Al Ahly (Egypt)

Returning to official competition for the first time since February’s tragedy of Port Said that claimed 74 lives and led to the cancellation of the Egyptian league, six-time African champions Al Ahly were below their usual form on Sunday against Ethiopia’s Coffee despite the presence of Mohamed Aboutrika and Mohamed Barakat. Both sides settled for a goalless draw, but the north Africans hope to beat the Ethiopians in the return leg in a fortnight.

Recreativo Libolo (Angola) 4 – 1 Sunshine Stars (Nigeria)  

Angolan representatives Recreativo Libolo trounced their Nigerian visitors Sunshine Stars 4-1 at the Estadio Patrice Lumumba in Calulo on Sunday to safeguard their chances of progression to the next round against uncertainties from the return leg challenge. Rasca handed the home side the lead on 33 minutes but was answered by Sunshine’s Bobo-Izu Azuka near the end of the first half. Adawa, Darius and Edy each hit one in to complete the 4-1 drubbing.

Horoya (Guinea) 1 – 1 MAS Fez (Morocco)

Reigning Confederation Cup champions and 2012 Super Cup winners MAS Fez of Morocco held Guinea’s Horoya to a 1-1 draw. The north Africans stunned the home team with an early goal scored by Hamza Hajji in the 5th minute through a free kick, but the west Africans were able to bounce back before the break thanks to Isika Seila, who chipped home a loose ball during a goalmouth scramble.

Zamalek (Egypt) 1 – 0 Africa Sports (Côte d’Ivoire)  

Benin-import Razak Omotoyossi scored the earliest goal of the weekend in the first minute of his side Zamalek’s clash against visiting Cote d’Ivoire champions Africa Sports. The Ivorians were quite happy not conceding more than a goal and promise to overturn the deficit in the return leg in Abidjan.

Tonnerre Bohicon (Benin) - Stade Malien Bamako (Mali)

This game was postponed due to the political instability in Mali after Thursday’s military coup and the shutting down of Bamako’s airport which hindered the Stade Malien delegation from travelling.