thumbnail Hello,

The Egyptian Football Association have finally decided on punishments for those involved in a match that ended in tragedy this past February

In a statement posted on its official website, the Egyptian Football Association (EFA) has announced that Al Masry have been banned from taking part in domestic competitions for a full year as punishment for their role in the Port Said tragedy of February 1 in which over 77 people were killed.

The ruling means that Al Masry are officially out of the 2011/2012 Egypt Cup and will not be able to participate in the 2012/2013 season. Furthermore, their home ground, Port Said stadium, has been suspended for three years.

Al Ahly were also punished, albeit to a lesser degree. The Cairo giants have been ordered to play their next four home matches behind closed doors for the lighting of canisters and the lifting of offensive banners during the match that ended in tragedy.

Manuel Jose and Hossam Ghaly have also received four-match bans for unsporting behaviour towards the match referee that needlessly raised tensions on the night in question.

The EFA’s decision follows last week’s announcement by Egypt’s prosecutor general that Al Masry general director Mohsen Shetta and two of his colleagues, Mohammed Al Barnass and Taoufik Malkan, will stand trial for allegedly colluding with security officials to allow fans to storm the pitch.

Related

From the web