Cameroon soccer legend Roger Milla, 58, has criticized the choice of players called up to face-off against Senegal in the third round of the 2012 African Cup of Nations qualifying, Senegal News Agency, APS, said Friday.
Published earlier this week by Cameroon coach Javier Clement, the 23-man squad has come under fire from fans, the sport media and some officials of the Cameroon Football Federation, Fecafoot. Many say they are wary of the team’s capacity to withstand Senegal’s Lions of Teranga in an away fixture.
Milla joined the critics this weekend calling those who drew up the list as “enemies of Cameroon”.
“Those who drew up this list do not like Cameroon,” Milla said. “Because you can not suspend some players and claim to have the best team, if you want the best team you’ve got to invite everybody," he added.
According to Milla, the Dakar-bound Samuel Eto’o-led team does not have the qualifity of players that can defy a “fire-spitting” Senegal squad. He said the Cameroon set up appeared to be an experimental one that might be fruitful in the future but not now.
He warned Cameroonians not to expect a win from the Senegal meeting.
Tottenham left back Assou Ekotto, Arsenal’s Alexandre Song and Real Betis midfielder Achille Emana were not invited.
The Senegal-Cameroon encounter holds on March 26 at the Stade Léopold Sédar Senghor in Dakar.