Egyptian League: Fight Breaks Out After Zamalek-Police Premier League Clash

Zamalek, who have repeatedly accused referees of favouring opposing teams this season, were infuriated after having several penalty claims turned down by the referee Al-Sayed.

The final whistle to end a clash between Zamalek and Police which ended in a 1-1 draw on Wednesday sparked a free-for-all fight on the pitch.

Earlier, the match was halted for around 15 minutes after Zamalek fans threw stones and bottles onto the pitch in protest of the referee’s decisions.

Police were holding a one-goal lead when winger Shikabala struck home in the 17th minute of stoppage time to help the hosts secure a share of spoils.

However, his goal was not enough to ease tensions.

Right after referee Al-Sayed blew his final whistle, a fist-fight broke out between Zamalek and Police players.

Zamalek's de facto football director Ibrahim Hassan, who is serving a five-year suspension for losing his head in a regional match while working with Masri, once again stole the show.

He was seen chasing and beating Police assistant coach Mohamed Ibrahim before being separated by his twin brother Hossam Hassan, Zamalek's head coach, and security personnel.

"The Police coach [Ibrahim] provoked Zamalek fans after making obscene gestures toward them," Ibrahim Hassan told Modern Sport after the ill-tempered game.

"He also spat at them and insulted Zamalek's technical staff members, including my brother [Hossam Hassan]."

The Egyptian FA's disciplinary committee will convene on Thursday to discuss the match's incidents, chairman Samir Zaher said.

"We will not tolerate such shameful acts. We can't remain silent after what happened tonight," he told

"We have to restore discipline in our matches, so heavy sanctions will be imposed on whomever is deemed responsible for those unfortunate incidents."

Zamalek are already at loggerheads with the Egyptian FA over several issues, including the saga of Egypt forward Geddo, who admitted that he signed a contract with them before extending his existing deal with Ittihad.

Zamalek assistant coach Tarek Soliman attended the post-match news conference but stormed out after five minutes.

"I will not make any comments about the match, but we are totally dissatisfied with the referee's decisions," he said.

Soliman later revealed that the club will hold a news conference on Thursday to officially comment on the matter.

Become a fan of International on Facebook. Just click onto to join the beautiful game's leading fan community...