thumbnail Hello,

The Organising Committee head says there's no link to be made between Friday's killings and security arrangements for June's World Cup.

Danny Jordaan, the CEO of the 2010 FIFA World Cup Organising Committee, has responded to criticism of South Africa and its security following the Togo bus attack in Angola.

On Friday evening the Togo team bus came under fire from rebels in the Cabinda province of Angola, ahead of the African Nations Cup being held in the country.

The bus driver, assistant coach and media officer were killed, and a few of the players were injured as a result. The isolated incident in Angola has generated fears regarding South Africa's ability to host a safe World Cup, but the OC CEO put the differences into perspective, using Europe as an example.

According to Australian sports website, Sbs.com, Jordaan said, “I took three-and-a-half hours to fly from Johannesburg, South Africa, to Luanda, Angola. Therefore it seems if you fly from London for three-and-a-half hours and land in Moscow, Russia, then anything which happens between London and Moscow from a security standpoint should see that the Premier League won’t continue.

“It doesn’t make any sense at all and I think we must be careful not to use double standards.”

The CEO continued, “If something happens in Germany we don’t say we must cancel the Premier League.

“The England cricket team have been in South Africa for more than a month with no security issues.

“Every country must take responsibility for their security and if there’s a breach in that country that’s just what it is.”

Some of the world press have criticised the awarding of the World Cup to South Africa, but so far the country has done well in its effort to host a successful event, building the stadia ahead of schedule, whilst hosting an impressive Confederations Cup and World Cup Final Draw during 2009.

Peter Pedroncelli, Goal.com

Related

From the web