The total body count is confirmed at three and could yet rise...The Togo bus shooting in Cabinda has left two more dead, according to various French sources. In addition to the so far unnamed local bus driver who perished on Friday, assistant coach Abalo Amelete and press officer Stanislas Ocloo are said to have passed away.
Reserve goalkeeper, Kodjovi Obilale, was also reported to be deceased, but is in fact alive in South Africa, where he is undergoing medical treatment. See here for more details.
Obilale, a 25-year-old who represented French amateur side GSI Pontivy, was one of two players thought to have suffered gunshot wounds during the Friday attack.
Earlier his team-mate, Nimes forward Jonathan Ayite, had in fact claimed that his injuries were fatal. The 24-year-old told RMC, "He [Obilale] is dead and even if you bring the president and even [Barack] Obama himself, we're leaving immediately, we're going back home. Ghana and the Ivory Coast are in solidarity with us."
The other player shot was was 22-year-old centre-back Serge Akakpo of Romania's FC Vaslui. He underwent surgery on Friday and is thought to be recovering.
The Sparrow Hawks are said to be preparing to return to Lome, the Togolese capital, having abandoned the African Cup of Nations tournament.
Reports indicate that prior to leaving the country, the Togolese delegation have been attempting to persuade Ghana and the Ivory Coast - two other teams based in the breakaway province of Cabinda - to quit the competition.
Nonetheless the African Cup of Nations itself is still set to go ahead, starting with tomorrow's opening match between Angola and Mali.
- Togo To Quit African Nations Cup
- Emmanuel Adebayor: 'We Saw Our Deaths'
- CAF Confirm That African Cup Of Nations 2010 Will Go Ahead
- Original Report: Togo Team Bus Fired Upon; Driver Killed, At Least Two Players Shot
- African Nations Cup Comment: After Shock Togo Bus Attack, The Games Need To Be Moved From Cabinda
- The Cabinda Conflict: Background To The Togo Bus Shooting