thumbnail Hello,

The World Cup winner had been linked with a move to the fledgling club as its inaugural marquee, but the Wanderers coach distanced the club from such speculation

Western Sydney Wanderers coach Tony Popovic has denied reports the club is in talks with former Milan striker Filippo Inzaghi to join the A-League newcomers for their debut season.

There was some speculation on Sunday the veteran attacker was being chased by the Wanderers to be their marquee signing for the 2012-13 season.

Inzaghi, who is both Milan and Italy's all-time leading scorer in European competition, was released by the Rossoneri at the end of last season and has just knocked back a coaching offer at the club in the hope of continuing his playing career.

While the bigger money on offer in the Middle East and MLS would seem more appealing, Inzaghi's Australian agent Lou Nesci said the A-League – and competition new-boys Wanderers – could be a viable destination.

"Filippo is certainly keen to come to Australia and the Wanderers would seem to be a good fit, especially with a sizeable Italian community in that part of Sydney," Nesci told The World Game.

"I feel he would excite people. He's still scoring goals and still fit to play at a very high level despite his age. I feel he would give Wanderers extra appeal in terms of putting bums on seats.

"I realise some clubs might worry about his age after previous bad experiences with imports but I feel they should have no concerns on that score on this occasion. He has a curiosity to come to Australia and perform."

But despite admitting a name like Inzaghi would be a great signing for the club, Popovic said suggestions the club were actively chasing the 38-year-old were wide of the mark.

"There'll be talk of players every day, which you understand, but I've had no discussions about [Inzaghi]," Popovic said.

"A name like that will always excite the fans and people around football to see if it's possible. But a name in a paper is far away from becoming a reality."

Popovic is more focused on running his eye over the talented crop of local youngsters and discarded A-League players trialling with the club at the moment.

Eight players from the New South Wales Premier League, as well as former Gold Coast United winger Tahj Minniecon, were all put through their paces by the Wanderers boss at the club's first session of the pre-season on Monday.

"It's a reward for all these guys for their form in the state league and there's a good opportunity there for them," he said.

Related

From the web