Gianluigi Buffon has been chosen by the International Federation of Football History and Statistics as the best goalkeeper of the past two decades, ahead of Peter Schmeichel and Iker Casillas...
Buffon, who became the most expensive goalkeeper ever when he moved from Parma to Juventus, was top by nine points, over nearest rival Peter Schmeichel.
The rankings take into account players from 1990 onwards, and in the top eight there are four players still playing today.
Below Manchester United legend Schmeichel, comes Spain and Real Madrid number one, Iker Casillas.
Casillas, who was a major part of the Spanish victory at the European Championships in Austria and Switzerland, is one point above Oliver Kahn, whilst below the German in fifth is José Luis Chilavert.
IFFHS Best Goalkeepers In The World:
1. Gianluigi Buffon (ITA) 78 points
2. Peter Schmeichel (DEN) 69
3. Iker Casillas (SPN) 63
4. Oliver Kahn (GER) 62
5. José Luis Chilavert (PAR) 58
6. Walter Zenga (ITA) 55
7. Edwin van der Sar (HOL) 53
8. Petr Cech (CZE) 44
9. Michel Preud'homme (BEL) 43
10. Claudio André Taffarel (BRA) 40
11. David Seaman (ENG) 38
12. Fabien Barthez (FRA) 37
13. Andoni Zubizarreta (ESP) 35
. Nélson de Jesus e Silva 'Dida' (BRA) 35
15. Rinat Dasaev (RUS) 27
16. Sergio Javier Goycochea (ARG) 26
17. Johannes van Breukelen (HOL) 23
18. Peter Shilton (ENG) 22
. Vítor Baía (POR) 22
James Walker-Roberts, Goal.com