The Giallorossi are negotiating a compensation package after Andre Villas-Boas was ruled out and the Catania boss targets three players from his current club to take with him
By Wayne Veysey
Vincenzo Montella is set to be confirmed as the new Roma coach imminently after agreeing a two-year contract worth €3.6 million-a-year, Goal.com has learned.
The Serie A side have settled on their legendary former striker to take the reins after ruling out Andre Villas-Boas, who is believed to have had two meetings with senior club officials.
Goal.com understands that the Giallorossi, who finished the league season in seventh, are now in talks with Montella’s current club Catania to negotiate a compensatory package.
The 37-year-old has a year remaining on his contract and discussions have centred on the Italian minnows receiving either a straight cash sum or agreeing a higher fee for one of the three players that Montella wants to take with him to Roma.
The former Italian international’s three main targets from his current club are centre-back Nicolas Spolli, playmaker Alejandro Gomez and striker Gonzalo Bergessio.
Luis Enrique parted company with Roma at the end of last week and it is understood that he waived the club’s offer of a compensation package.
Montella has agreed a similar deal to Enrique. It will be worth £2.3m-a-year over two years, with the option of a third year. It is a significant upgrade on the £241,000-a-year deal that Montella had when he was in caretaker charge of Roma at the end of the 2010-11 season.
General manager Franco Baldini has been in the United States this week for discussions with the club’s owners, including president Thomas DiBenedetto, and is due to fly back to Italy on Friday to tie up the Montella swoop.
Baldini initially strongly pushed the claims of Villas-Boas. He held talks with the Portugese at a Chelsea restaurant towards the end of his ill-fated Stamford Bridge tenure and earmarked him as the man to take the club back into the Champions League.
Goal.com understands that Villas-Boas told the club that he would want to bring two players who were instrumental in Porto’s treble-winning 2010-11 campaign with him - midfielder Fernando and striker Radamel Falcao, who is now at Atletico Madrid.
However, sources have said that Montella eventually emerged as the No.1 candidate because Roma sporting director Walter Sabatini wanted someone with club connections and wide experience of Serie A.
Follow Wayne Veysey on
|HERE'S SOMETHING YOU DON'T SEE EVERY DAY...
Starring Sian Welby
Funnies, bloopers & magic from the world of football
|CLICK THE IMAGES TO WATCH ON OUR OFFICIAL YOUTUBE CHANNEL!