Segura pledges not to withdraw Argentina from Copa America amid emergency AFA meeting

Luis Segura has assured that he will not stand down from the organisation after intervention on charges of misappropriating funds, and that the Albiceleste would stay in the US

The Argentine Football Association's (AFA) executive secretary has confirmed it is holding an emergency board meeting to discuss pulling out of the Copa America Centenario, although the body's president has played down the chance of withdrawal.

Gerardo Martino is set to lead Argentina as they attempt to lift a first major trophy since winning the Copa America in 1993, with their opener against defending champions Chile scheduled to take place on June 6 at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara.

The governmental General Justice Inspection (IGJ) unit, however, moved on Monday to suspend the AFA's June 30 presidential elections and designated two inspectors to look into claims TV revenues have been misappropriated.

And the saga could derail Argentina's bid for Copa glory, with executive secretary Damian Dupiellet saying an emergency meeting had been called to determine whether the national team should return from their pre-tournament base in California.

He told radio station La Red: "The elections are suspended for 90 days and could be suspended for 90 days more. 

"Two inspectors have been sent to carry out an internal review. This is clear interference in the life of the AFA."

Government interference in national associations is banned by FIFA and Dupiellet added: "We will ask CONMEBOL and FIFA to evaluate if this is against their institutions' rules.

"The Executive Board will decide tomorrow [Tuesday] if the national team must return to Argentina."

President Luis Segura later assured that Argentina's presence in the United States was not inquestion, while the Executive Committee will vote on the matter. 

"I will not resign, neither will Argentina be withdrawn from the Copa America," he told a press conference on Tuesday.